Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of Buying a 450 EXC Need advice

Hi,

I currently have a KTM 250 xcf-w and am thinking about buying a 450 exc. I ride mostly trails, single and double. No racing just aggressive riding. I am thinking of getting the bike because it is street legal which will allow me to ride some forest service roads and can zip around town and to the trails without having to trailer. I know the bike is heavier then the 250. Other then that what are some of the major concerns I should think about. I value your opinions so let me have it. Thanks

Are you looking at getting a used RFS or one of the newer models?

I have owned quite a few dirt bikes, mostly XRs from 250s to 650s and over the years have ridden a lot of different brands and sizes belonging to my circle of riding buddies. My '05 EXC is hands down the best all-around dirt bike that I have ever ridden.

I am looking at a new 09 hold over. Has JD jet kit installed and canister removed already.

I am looking at a new 09 hold over. Has JD jet kit installed and canister removed already.

My '05 45 EXC is the only KTM that I have owned. A large number of my riding buddies have KTMs from 200 smokers to big bore 4 strokes, some of them late models. If cash outlay and reliability are issues with you, MHO is that if you can find a used RFS bike in little used condition, you may very well avoid some of the reported problems with the later models, have a bike with proven reliability and will have spent less money.

No regrets with my '09 450 EXC. The ONLY bike that will replace it is a NEW 300 2T that is street legal from the factory -- I can dream, but I'm not holding my breath. The 450 is a blast to ride everywhere and having a plate is a necessity for me.

Unless cash is no Issue I would second that. Especially in this economy its easy to find a low hour used 450 and you'll be saving a bundle. I have been seeing steals on craigslist.

I have a 450 EXC and love it. Was concerned about a too agressive engine, etc. However, that seems to be the XC-Fs (which is the dual cam version). the EXC has a single cam motor. I've heard bad things about 2008 EXC reliability and many engine upgrades were done for 2009. You may want to get the overflow bottle (like from RLR Products, for example). This bike is so nice, coming off of a 2001 WR250F...it's like cheating, cuz the suspension just sucks up everything and the motor is so good that shifting is not something you'll have to worry alot about. I like Dr. Jeckyl/Mr.Hyde aspect of the motor. If you want to go slow, that's fine, and if you want to rip, she'll do that too. I like the Fastways bark busters and don't forget to add the battery tender leads. If you ride where you're likely to ride slow and overheat, I like the KTM hard parts improved water pump impeller kit (about $99). The only problem I see is the 15 tooth front sprocket (from the factory) really needs a 14 toother instead. For example, with the 15 tooth CS sprocket, I'm not shifting into 6th till 50 mph and then at 50 mph, it's really lugging the motor. Oh and by the way the rear signals are total crap. 1 of mine fell off within 10 miles of riding and when I got off the bike and looked....damn thing had bounced around and scratched the plastic! I got the flush mount LED rear signals from Sicass racing.

I have owned many bikes over many years from XR's, 2 & 4 stroke Husky's to FE Husabergs and one older LC4 KTM400. My current bike is an 05 450EXC and is hands-down my favorite (so far). Great power but well mannered, good suspension & brakes and being street legal gives great peace of mind when I do have to ride on some roads between trails.