Sign in to follow this  

taming down 450f

Im riding a 07 yz450f in a cross country circut and im wanting to tame down the bike in the woods. What gearing would work best to do this? There is no problem getting the bike to wind out and get top end speed but it has to much torque in the trees. Any suggestions

A flywheel weight sounds like it may be the best bet for you. I am a strictly MX guy so I have no insight on what weight would work better, but hopefully someone can offer a little more knowledge on that.

I would suggest a flywheel weight as well. I put a 13oz on my crf450 and a freind of mine put the gytr optional flywheel weigh on his. I think theres is 10oz heavier? Both work great and help to smooth out the snap a little for woods riding. We ride tight trails with rock and roots and both use a 13/53 gearing? Low yes but great for the woods. Sounds like 13/50 or 13/52 is a good choice for more open trails etc. Just my thoughts

You asked about gearing and I have an 06 running 13/47 and its realy mellow. It pulls fine in the wood, the power is very smooth and it does not want to rip your hands of the grips.

I put the heavier flywheel on my 04 yz450, love it, best mod you can do!

ok thank you ill be getting a flywheel what one should i go with? should i leave the drive gearing stock or what would be a good combination between flywheel weight? and gearing? im 6' 180lbs so my weight is not an issue. also ive been looking for an adjustable throttle tube tamer and havent been able to find one for yamaha.

I have a steahly +10oz on my 05 with 13/52 gearing. Behaves much better in the woods but winds out fairly quickly.

Flywheels work really good , also a Q f.m.f. muffle will help tame it some.