Sign in to follow this  

Too Hot?

Anyone think this is too hot? One ride, 650L, stock jetting, 6 disks in the Supertrapp. Jet up? or take disks out?

Bluepipe.jpg

Edited by Moto500

Well I would check and see what jetting is in there, Yes I would run richer than stock, However where I live there is no emissions and no state inspection. Check out Dave's mods

searchfirst.gif

Anyone think this is too hot? One ride, 650L, supposed stock jetting, 6 disks in the Supertrapp. Jet up? or take disks out?

Bluepipe.jpg

:thumbsup:It is a given that it was too lean with the stock pipe. Adding an aftermarket pipe surely didn't fix it. Leaving the jetting alone and taking disks out will: 1) make it a bit quieter 2) cut down the amount of air that it can push through (effectively richening your mixture) and 3) most likely decrease the power gain. Richening the mixture and leaving the disks in will : 1) keep it louder than stock (assuming you like a bit more "report" than the stock can) 2) provide more airflow than stock (uncorking/Dave's Mods are a must while you are at it) and 3) provide the power increase that drove you to buy the aftermarket pipe to begin with (assuming you didn't buy it purely for the sound and looks... how the piggie looks matters... don't get me wrong:smirk:)

Oh yea... it looks hot as #e!!... don't touch it!:banana::lol:

If you have an aftermarket pipe, the jetting needs to be richer than stock. Crack it open and see what is in there before you melt the whole thing down.

Thanks guys, Gonna peek inside the carb today. Keep the advice/knowledge coming.

Looking at Dave's mods.

Reference to: making the mod work properly, "you must use free flowing air cleaner, and remove the snorkel"

can anyone show me where the snorkel is? It may still be there, it may not. There is evidence that some sort of mod was made already, the tab has been ground off. Still digging...

Edited by Moto500

The only way the color of the header will tell you anything is if it's glowing red when it shouldn't be.

List all your airflow/power modifications and the jetting and we'll tell you if it sounds about right. The color of your sparkplug would help too.

No washer under the needle, jets: 50/152, stock.

Slide holes 7/64

Looks like the only mod was the tab ground off.

That's a completely normal color. Like HT says, unless it's glowing red you're not going to glean anything from the header.

Ok, thanks, How about the mod? If i take the snorkel out and put the washer in the needle, what should i jet at for < 1000 feet?

Edit: Read the mod sheet again, 55/158. Seems like a big jump, and is says go even richer with A/M pipe. I've got 50/152 now, not doubting Dave but, do i want to jump up that much?

55/158 should be right. I'm at 5000 feet, and I run 52/155. With a 50 pilot, you're probably getting some wicked popping on deceleration. The 55 should cut back on that significantly.

Thats where i'm a bit concerned. The thing runs sweet, no pop at all!

No washer under the needle, jets: 50/152, stock.

Slide holes 7/64

Looks like the only mod was the tab ground off.

What other mods have been done? Silencer? Air filter? Piston? Cam? Portwork? Nitrous? Supercharger? The header and smog block off indicate the bike is definitely not completely stock.

That said, your plug has good coloring for being run on California gas. You will now need to do further plug readings with a new plug or a used one that been spotlessly cleaned. I have done bead blasting in the past, but the timing/octane band won't appear on anything but a new plug. If the only engine mod was a header, I'm not surprised that 50/152 is working well. If you take out the snorkel and add a good foam filter, then you will definitely want to use the 55/158 called out in Dave's Mods. You will probably find that it wants a little more considering you have a header.

Was the plug in the bike before you changed the pipe? If it was, then you can't really rely on it for a reading on the current mixture.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if his bike was horrendously lean, that plug would be white as a sheet no matter when it was put in.

What other mods have been done? Silencer? Supertrapp w/6 disks. Air filter? UNI that replaces stock. Piston? Cam? Portwork? Nitrous? Supercharger? None The header and smog block off indicate the bike is definitely not completely stock. Agreed

That said, your plug has good coloring for being run on California gas. You will now need to do further plug readings with a new plug or a used one that been spotlessly cleaned. I have done bead blasting in the past, but the timing/octane band won't appear on anything but a new plug. If the only engine mod was a header, I'm not surprised that 50/152 is working well. If you take out the snorkel and add a good foam filter, then you will definitely want to use the 55/158 called out in Dave's Mods. You will probably find that it wants a little more considering you have a header.

I agree, but how much more? 160? 162? Would rather not foul a plug on the trail. Removing the plug even with the tank off in my shop still gave me a little:moon:gas.

I agree, but how much more? 160? 162?

Probably something like 58/160 if I had to guess. Your SuperTrapp also doesn't have as big a disc stack as a lot of people run, so that will reduce the fuel requirement somewhat.

That's why jetting in an imprecise science; there are millions of different parts/climate/elevation/fuel combinations and all of them are different.

I agree, but how much more? 160? 162? Would rather not foul a plug on the trail. Removing the plug even with the tank off in my shop still gave me a little:moon:gas.

No matter what anybody tells you, there is a process for determining which jets are right for your bike. If you're not familiar with jetting, which I wasn't when I first bought my bike, then you should read up on it. Here are a few links. The bottom line is that 55/158 is a great starting point, but it's not always right, and it'll be up to you to determine whether or not it is.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/carbadj.asp

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/4sjetting.asp

http://www.atlanticmx.com/archives/00000135.shtml