Sign in to follow this  

new DRZ owner and I have a few questions

mostly I am looking for a couple of things..

the bike is a 2005 DR-Z400s. I bought it a few days ago. The previous owner set it up for trail riding. Most of the mods I would want to do have already been done.. So that's a bonus. The downside is that in the 3400 miles he put on the bike it was mostly off road and the bike shows it. I'm fine with that. That's sort of my plan for this bike as well, although before I bought it I thought the S weighed the same as the E model. oh well. I would like to lose some more weight but it seems the previous owner took off most of the extra junk already. The only thing I replaced was turn signals (with some mini signals) since I will be riding about 60/40 street/dirt since I don't have a truck or trailer.

The things I am looking for:

DRZ400 service manual (downloadable pdf file).

I found the clymer manual but I don't really trust them 100% and I found a Suzuki manual but it was in french... anyone have a link to a pdf manual they can share via mediafire or similar?

Further weight savings (or other suggested mods)

As I said the bike has most mods I would do to make it a trail worthy street legal bike. That's my purpose. MCCT, Engine Case Guards, Yoshi Exhaust, 3x3 Airbox mod, re-jetted, Pro-taper bars, single ktm foldable mirror, hand guards, shift lever, skid plate, and probably more I'm not thinking about at the moment.. passenger pegs and some other extraneous bits seem to have been removed.

Yoshi Stainless header pipe

Is it possible to get just the header pipe? The mid pipe and the exhaust are good but the header pipe has two good dents. It seems to run fine as is but if I can replace just the header pipe without having to buy the entire Yoshi full exhaust I would do that.. I searched around and I only saw the full exhaust kits..

Plastics

I'm sort of tempted to swap out the plastics on the bike although I probably shouldn't if I'm going to ride it as I intend to. The current plastics are seriously scratched up, a couple of minor cracks, etc. I would be tempted to get a spare set of plastics to clean the bike up nicely though should I decide to sell it in the future or if I get a more single track oriented bike in the future (the two stroke ktms are still tempting me after I bought the DRZ) so what do people reccomend? The acerbis sets seem like a good deal, perhaps combined with a larger tank, all in a nice sexy black?

here's the bike as it sits now (before I added the turn signals yesterday)

drz400_newtome1.jpg

Looks good, All I could find was the Clymer. I dont know much about the rest.

Where you at in Ct?

I'm near Saybrook!

Happy Seal.. I'm just a little north of you in East Haddam.. I was down in Old Lyme all day esterday helping a friend in puting his bike back together with some extensive overhaul being done.

I got the bike from a guy oin advrider.com although he did have it listed on Criagslist as well. Seemed like a good guy.

Happy Seal.. I'm just a little north of you in East Haddam.. I was down in Old Lyme all day esterday helping a friend in puting his bike back together with some extensive overhaul being done.

I got the bike from a guy oin advrider.com although he did have it listed on Criagslist as well. Seemed like a good guy.

I just sold a house in E. Haddam on the upper resevoir. We'll have to ride some day, losts of good stuff up there!

so I finally tried looking through this DRZ400 Clymer manual I downloaded in pdf format.. It's kind of crap.. The info seems ok, aside from basic typos and errors here and there like any Clymer manual.. Just the scan of it is average at best, photos are useless, etc..

there must be a real suzuki pdf manual floating around out there.. no one has one? I'd even offer a modest donation to whomever can send me the file or even just a link to the file on the interwebs somewhere!