Sign in to follow this  

Enclosed trailer screen door

I searched the forums but did not find anything. Has anyone installed a rv style screen door on the side door of their enclosed trailers? I am going to get an enclosed trailer this tuesday and it somes with a 32" side door with an rv latch. I am going to use the trailer for camping so I would really like to add one. I searched the internet and trailer parts websites, but did not find anything.

you should be able to use one of those retractable screens that people put on their home doors... likely found at Home Depot. It's like a roller screen. May be too high as it would fit a standard door (32x80). I'd look there. If not, wouldn't be too hard to make one using patio door replacement screen and a wooden frame!

I'll have to look at the home depot retractable ones. I've seen some trailers with actual rv style screen doors, but can't find anything about them.

I'm interested in doing the same thing. I, too, looked over the internet trying to find something, couldn't find anything helpful. If you find something that works, please post up with pics :banana:

I think the reason you're having trouble finding an RV screen door is because RV entry doors/screen doors are typically sold as a unit due to the fact that they share a common frame assembly. I've looked at the retractable screen doors at Lowes, and I think that's what I'm going to buy for the side door on my 6X12. I think they have several advantages over conventional screen doors, most importantly the fact that you don't have to make space allowances for the "swing" of the door. They're fairly pricey, but worth it, I think, in the long run. Whatever you decide to do, post some pics!:banana:

I've had some thoughts on this as well.

I would think you could easily build an old-fashion screen door out of wood

staples and screen.

My other consideration was a custom snap-in screen with a tent style

zipper for an enterance. Any one that makes boat covers and biminis could make this for you.

But I'm partial to a good ole spring loaded wooden screen door. I would want it to have squeeky hinges and slam shut every time. Yeah.

There is an RV side door with a separate screen door in my 14x8 enclosed trailer I will check and see if there is a name on it. Might be a good lead

I would want it to have squeeky hinges and slam shut every time. Yeah.

HECK YEAH!

I was at home depot yesterday, can't remember the isle i was in, but you can buy metal framing, like $6 a piece and the plastic corner pieces to make up your own screen. I only saw 4' and 3' lengths, but you should beable to piece them together. i didn't see any plastic parts to do that but was kinda in a hurry and didn't spend a whole lot of time.

Good luck, let us know how you make out!

I would just buy a wood or vinyl screen door and install it like a pocket door, it would just slide out of the way like a slider door. That would be cool.

MAX!!!

I was wondering about this too...thought about cutting the door or the sidewall and just putting in a window myself, but then you lose some security. Mosquito netting is another thought, but then it wouldn't have a nice fit the way an actual screen door would.

I went through this process last summer. I bought my first trailer, a 6X12 v-nose. I built a couple of fold down bunks on the sides for my kids and a platform bed/bench for me and the missus below those. I have a 10X10 screem room I set up outside by the side entry door which keeps a lot of bugs out, but ended up with a wood frame screen door with an inward swing. It's ok and at least takes a beating from the kids as the screen is easily replaced. the retractible type are pricy and my kids would likely ruin it. It'does not take up much space. Also there are companies that make snap/velcro type attachments. I am looking at one now for rear ramp door. Half screen type setup, tent like material,, that way you can have ventilation etc...

I made one out of some synthetic screen material from walmart for like $25. It was enought to do both my side door and rear barn doors. I just put velcro tabs on the inside of the walls and some to match on the screan material, sewing the velcro in was a pain. I now just pull it out of the cabinet and stick it to the wall. Then again we don't open in close it much. We only use it when we are putting the baby down for a nap and don't want the bugs in. What about something that looks like a tent screan. fixed uneder the door fram on both side with zipper up the middle?