Sign in to follow this  

My Free Power Mod and SSK install results

Due to my being sick for 3 weeks the first of the year, yea over New Years :lol:, I did not get the chance to put my bike on the Battery Tender like I normally due until it was almost too late. I have had marginal service out of my battery ever since and it failed on me during a dual sport about 6 weeks ago and thankfully I have the kick starter on my bike. :banana:

So I decided to get Eddies Super Start bracket and wiring harness as well as the Yuasa YTZ10S battery that Eddie recommends and once all of the parts were here today it was time to get to work.

Unfortunately my wife is out of town with the camera :banana: so I was not able to take any pictures but I will put in as much detail as I can. So here we go.

BEFORE

Engine off and key off: 13.03

Engine off and key on: 11.70 after about 10 seconds.

Engine running at high idle: 13.70

Engine running at idle: 13.89

So I started tearing into it by looking at all of the connections for power and ground and all of the connectors looked good with very little corrosion on any of them. I then removed the regulator/rectifier and then re-attached it to the frame for further testing. I started the bike and was going over all of the connectors and I found something kind of scary. All of the wiring for the stator felt fine after the bike had been running for about 5 minutes and then I checked the regulator/rectifier wiring and here is where it gets scary. The wiring on the stator side of the connector was cool to the touch but on the wiring harness side it was VERY hot. YIKES. :banana::eek:

I then went into test mode and tested everything but the regulator/rectifier because I don’t have any instructions for my VOM. The stator tested out fine following the “Free Power Mod” post with zero errors. From ground to each yellow wire there was ZERO continuity and from each wire to wire there was 0.003 ohms and the AC voltage was between 65 and 67 volts, cool.

Next I pulled the battery box and cut the back out using my Dremel tool with a roto-zip like bit which works great BTW. I pulled the regulator/rectifier and cut off the old connector about 5 inches from the regulator/rectifier and connected up Eddies harness. I moved to the secondary power connector, the one with the fuse, and found some signs of heating so I replaced that connector with a bullet type and used heat shrink to lock it together.

Now I looked at the secondary ground connector and found it to be slightly corroded so I cleaned the connector with some small files I have. Now I connected my Battery Tender pig tail to the red and black wires that goes into the harness which will make the battery connections a little less crowded.

Once everything was done and ready to re-assemble I used some No Ox grease on all of the connectors and put everything back together. The side cover was a little tough to get back on but I used my heat gun to warm it up and all was well. The air box cover was another tough one but it gave in once I got out the heat gun.

AFTER

Engine off and key off: 12.86 (this is right out of the box)

Engine off and key on: 12.26 after about 10 seconds.

Engine running at high idle: 14.46

Engine running at idle: 14.52

So I am looking at a gain of 0.76 VDC at high idle and a gain of 0.63 VDC at idle. Not to shabby huh! I am very happy with everything and the bike now starts by just looking the button! Now all I have to do to get out there and ride.

My thanks to Noble for first finding the problem and posting his trouble shooting and results, to Bronco78 for getting this info into the sticky that so many of us use, and to Eddie for his SSK and related parts.

Have a great one!

Nice write up. I'll have to get the heat gun on my plastics, it was a bit of a tight fit getting it all back together again.

How's the riding in the desert? Now's probably a great time to be out there.

Thanks guys! Yea the heat gun worked well or even a hair dryer set to hot would work. I just thought of something else to try, what about putting the cover on very not water for a few minutes?

Rib Eye, now is the time to ride for sure, nice and cool at night and around 68 during the day. I love living and riding here, you just pop out of your garage and your on your way!

In fact I'm heading out in about a half hour! Woo Hoo! See ya!

In fact I'm heading out in about a half hour! Woo Hoo! See ya!

Pics!!