CRF 50's hard to start?

I'm currently shopping for a 50 cc bike. Some have elect. starting, the crf does not. That said, in most cases how difficult are these bikes (CRF's) to start? My son is 4, so I expect riding to be very sporadic and the bike will probably sit for weeks at a time.

Similar situation here. I ride fairly frequently, but the kids bikes can sit for awhile. The jets are tiny, I always use Stabil in the fuel, and have never had any issues with starting or the jets getting clogged. If you put fuel in these little bikes without a stabilizer and they sit long enough you will have problems with the carb/jets getting gummed up.

None of my kids bikes have had electric start-very easy for me to start, not always easy for them to start, so I have to help them once in awhile. At 4 years old, you will probably be kick starting the bike if it doesn't have electric start.

As long as you keep the valves in adjustment, and don't ever let fuel sit in the bike, they pretty much always start consistently

Now the strength it takes to kick it, I'm not sure if a 4 year old could do it or not. I'd take him down to your local dealer and see if he can kick start one. They shouldn't have any problem as long as you ask :banana:

If you keep everything maintained, the bike should always stay running and never die.. Unless it lays down on it's side for very long, then it will die.

Also on storage issues, it's very easy to just pull the fuel line to drain the tank (into the lawn mowers gas?:banana:) and open the screw on the carb to drain the fuel out of the carb. And valves only need checked every 12 months or so, and literally take about 5 minutes to do

But you might also look into the yamahas.. Yamaha's aren't as popular cause they don't have as much aftermarket parts support as honda..

Our kids start each of theirs. Our 6 year old son is doing pretty well now, and our just-turned-5 year old daughter is beginning to start hers now. Both bikes start easily; I can start either one of them cold with my hand, normally on the first try. These bikes do not sit, and are ridden daily.

I've found that the kids' ability to turn them over has more to do with technique than with size or strength.

our 04 kicks over the first time everytime. it even up to last week had the same topend from when we purchased it.

when you are done riding it, turn the petcock off and drain the carb either by running it, or the drain screw.

I have a 03 xr50 and my son has a 09 TTR-50. I would go with Honda. The Honda is a lighter bike and in my opinion a much better made bike. I use 93 octane and 1 ounce of seafoam per gallon of gas. Because I travel quite a bit my bike will sit for 2-4 weeks sometimes. I don't drain mine I just shut the fuel off and my Honda starts in 1-2 kicks. Use seafoam it is one of the greatest things invented since pockets.