oil sight tube

Baja Designs Team Honda Oil Sight Tube for XR650R

PART NUMBER: BD-105002

Here is the link on xr's only:

http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=3874&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=70

Modeled after Team Honda's Baja 1000 race bikes, the Baja Designs Team Honda Oil Sight Kit is engineered to allow quick oil level checks when in the heat of battle along the Baja Peninsula

The how-to document I have specifies 1/4" teflon tubing; you should be able to get that at mcmaster-carr.

I didn't write the article, but if anyone wants a copy PM me. ETA: Include your email address.

Edited by porterdog
adding detailed instructions.

The how-to document I have specifies 1/4" teflon tubing; you should be able to get that at mcmaster-carr.

I didn't write the article, but if anyone wants a copy PM me.

PM sent.

I notice that there are over 40 types of tubes in the tubing section of McMaster-Carr. Do you know offhand which is the best to use? Is this something where a group buy would save a few bucks if lots of people want to make this modification?

Just to be clear, the article I have (think it's from the XRR yahoo group?) is for the 650R.
Thanks for sending the article.

Since you have to drill and tap the frame to install this, it would clearly work the same way for any bike that holds its oil in the frame. I'm sure that it would work exactly the same way for an XR650L.

So now I want to know why I can't just replace the black oil return hose with a clear one? That seems much easier. The oil isn't really under any significant pressure in that tube, right?

If nobody has ever tried that before, maybe I'll be the guinea pig here. :banana:

After all, what's the worst that could happen? :banana:?:banana:

If I were to try it, I would at least keep the old hose with the bike in case I suddenly need to put it back.

Okay, then what is the black hose on the right side that is just behind the steering head going back towards the engine?

Oil tank vent/breather hose, vents the oil tank to the crankcase.

When you pull the dipstick with the engine running you may get (or it may look like) oil going from it into the reservoir.

Plugging it (not that you are talking about plugging it) could result in oil starvation by at least 2 methods I can think of... pretty important and overlooked piece of the oil system!

Dave

• 6 months later...

A sight glass could be a good idea............... a bad idea if it gets knocked out by a rock or a pesky tree that reaches out and grabs it.

I was searching for a sight tube for, for the oil tank of a project bike. That's when I located the McM/C site.

Take in mind that these tubes are big/bulky and designed for big machinery.

Is the frame down tube not too thin? -the 650R's ALU frame has much more meat.

He's got a good point. Steel frames are thin and round........... my oil tank has thin/round walls.

I had to drill/tap the tank for 1/2" pipe bushings.......... then tap the bushings to accept the 1/2" banjo bolts. Also gave a flat surface for the o-rings to seal to.

.2109023200102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

.2798959930102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

It looks like the shielded #1 tube would do the job.

Still need to screw in brass mount bushings though.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.aspx?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=0523&RelatedCtlgPgs=528,526,525,527,524,523&CtlgEdition=116&ScreenWidth=1024&McMMainWidth=815&ToolsetID=ToolMultiPageNav&ToolsetAct=

Drilling/tapping the frame for two 1/8" pipe 90* brass elbows, and hose clamping a section of clear 1/4" tubing between the two would be quite easier/cheaper.

• Like 1

Before you get too far...Would it even show accurately on an XRL? The XRR is a dry sump motor meaning ALL the oil is in the frame when its running...(why you must check it as soon as you shut it down.) is the XRL much different?

Now that I'm writting this I guess as long as ANY oil is in the frame it should work...you just are checking to see if the level changes any? Don't know now...?