Sign in to follow this  

Used DRZ - ok to buy? have pics

A local guy is selling this DRZ. Is there anything besides the obvious that I should worry about?

Edited by JRShof

How much? Don't think there's an easy fix for the rear hub. I wouldn't trust any fix anyway. The only fix I'd accept is a new hub and that'll cost you $150+. I think I'd keep looking before deciding.

I agree with ptgarcia. Also no speedo , how many miles & whats up with the super trick TDC bolt he has put in?

Whats the TDC bolt?

He said it has about 8000 miles.

DSC02982.jpg

See that HUGE bolt in the top of the side case? That bolt is in the Top Dead Center alignment mark sight window. Should be a small plug un that hole not a fricken huge bolt,, add to that the broken hub that is "an easy fix" the missing speedo, the fact some unknown person has been inside the motor and it has an "aftermarket" piston (were the rings replaced? New locks used and installed correctly?, was the cylinder honed? or replaced?, what base gasket was used? what torque was used on the head? were the cams installed correctly? )

DSC02982.jpg

See that HUGE bolt in the top of the side case? That bolt is in the Top Dead Center alignment mark sight window. Should be a small plug un that hole not a fricken huge bolt,, add to that the broken hub that is "an easy fix" the missing speedo, the fact some unknown person has been inside the motor and it has an "aftermarket" piston (were the rings replaced? New locks used and installed correctly?, was the cylinder honed? or replaced?, what base gasket was used? what torque was used on the head? were the cams installed correctly? )

I would say the cylinder was replaced... it says Athena on the side.

keep looking

its got a aftermarket cylinder, needs new hub, no speedo

i'am sure theres better bikes out there

Look at all the shoddy work on the outside , whats it going to be like on the on inside ,

another pass from me , keep looking bro

Keep looking unless it's a smoking deal and you are looking for a project.

DSC02982.jpg

Thats the stock TDC plug....just looks like it has something in it.....

To the OP.......I would keep looking unless the price is really really good.....and I agree to what PTGarcia said :banana:

I'm not sure it was broken by over tightening.

If you look closely at the provided picture of the hub, you can see that is was damaged (both broken and ripped - see hub rim spur sticking out behind the sprocket).

If it was simply from over tightening, would the owner not had cleaned up the tear with a file or Dremel etc?

I cannot explain the direction of rotation however.

I say move on.

over tightening