Sign in to follow this  

250 2 stroke maintenance

hi everyone i have decided now to sell my 01 yz 250f after the annoying expensive maintenance.

what maintenance has to be done on a 250 2 stroke(engine wise not linkages etc), just change tranny oil every 10 hours and premix with a once a year top end and airfilters every ride(sound better already lol)

i'll be getting a yz or cr, maybe just maybe a rm or kx

i read that kx 250's prior to 04 didnt have a nikasil coated cylinders, does that mean itll wear out faster.

are 1998 and 99 rm 250's clutches junk, i know the bad years with the cr's and yz's

hi everyone i have decided now to sell my 01 yz 250f after the annoying expensive maintenance.

what maintenance has to be done on a 250 2 stroke(engine wise not linkages etc), just change tranny oil every 10 hours and premix with a once a year top end and airfilters every ride(sound better already lol)

i'll be getting a yz or cr, maybe just maybe a rm or kx

i read that kx 250's prior to 04 didnt have a nikasil coated cylinders, does that mean itll wear out faster.

are 1998 and 99 rm 250's clutches junk, i know the bad years with the cr's and yz's

The clutches aren't the best on that generation RM (aftermarket kit will fix 'em up), also I think from 96 or so on up until 2000 they used an internal water pump (kind of a pain to maintain from what I hear). Really I'd just stay away from those RM years. 04+ RM250s are the shizzle though (06+ even more so!)

Not sure on the KXs. Never been a fan, but I do remember the KX250s in the late 90s doing pretty well on the shootouts.

If I were you I'd stick to the 3rd gen frame CRs if you are serious about a CR.

The YZs, well they're pretty unremarkable (which is great in this case, nothing really bad about them). I'd look @ getting an 06 (better suspension), but if you can't you'll be good on just about any year.

As for maintenance, you've pretty much hit it on the head. I just clean my filters after every ride, and replace them every season though. Oh and don't forget to tighten the cam chain every 10 hours and check the valves, and oil every ride or so, and filter...

Oh that's right, it's a 2 stroke :banana: Silly me.

Sounds like you've already got it as far as the engine maintenance goes on the 2-stroke. I change my oil after every race or every 2-3 rides depending on conditions, usually change out my clutch along with the top end once a year, and check/clean/replace air filter every ride. Pretty much if you get the bike jetted properly and keep up with the obvious and basic stuff (checking bolts, keeping things lubed, and replacing worn items) the smokers seem to be relatively cheap and simple to maintain.

In my humble opinion I would get a YZ. If you were happy with your Yamaha (just that it wasn't a two stroke) then stick with them. I own a 01 YZ 250 with a couple of mods and it is an outstanding bike.

Just a mention about maintenance. When I blew the bottom end of the bike I removed the engine myself and found a weisco bottom end rebuild kit on EBAY Motors and turned it over to a shop to split the cases and install the new rod, bearings, gaskets, etc.

The whole experience cost me less than 500 bucks! 170 for the kit, 325 for the labor. Add another 150 for a new piston and rings (I did that part:worthy:) and presto! A brand new bike.

And best of all Its a YAMAHA!

yes that's right, i a huge Yamaha fan

i do like the 250f how its rides etc but since it getting 9 years I'm not looking forward to the price and time of rebuilding the darn thing and i would like more power

so a 2 stroke will do it for me

lets hope i find another yami because i like them and i've got a yamaha shop 5 minutes away

watch the jetting and keep feeding it good fuel.....you have the rest down.

YZ 250 here,

outstanding bike

very cheap to maintain

i have a stupid pit bike and am thinkin about a 89 or 90 somewhere around there kx 250 should i try to get this or not