Sign in to follow this  

New member and new to me bike!

First off hello everybody, new to the forum been lurking for awhile and decided to join.....I have been trying to decide on a bike for some time now and almost buying a few different bikes I kept coming back to the reliability of the xr line, so today I purchased a 1995 xr600r! I have a quick question about the bike......it is a well used specimen but not ratty and the only thing wrong with it is a small oil leak right behind the front sprocket, I have searched this problem and think I found the answer for an updated oil seal but all the post talking about it are for the 650. I was wondering if this is the seal I need or is their a different one specifically for the 600r. Also with the utah skid plate does that go over the stock tube skid or does it replace it entirely?...Thank you in advance for any help.

anybody know what seal I need?....I guess since the weather is nicer everybody is out riding...lol....:banana:

i don't have an answer on the seal. as far as the skidplate i don't know of any that use the stock tube. if i'm wrong someone on here will let us know

I think you're talking about the earlier 650R countershaft seal update because there was never any problem with the seals on RFVC engines. Just get one for your 600. I think the 650L's seal is the same. The Utah Sport Cycle skid plate completely replaces the original.

Ok thanks a bunch.....what would cause gas to come out of the overflow on the carb when its just sitting there.....sticking float?

Welcome waterbar. Nice choice for a bike. I had a '96 I bought new, loved that bike. It never let me down and always ran great.

Nice avatar HT. lol! What's that from?

Always makes me wonder what you're gonna come up with next. :banana:

Ok thanks a bunch.....what would cause gas to come out of the overflow on the carb when its just sitting there.....sticking float?

I would take your carb off and give it a thorough cleaning and set your float level 2 mm lower than what the specs call for.:banana:

Alrighty....po said something about it might needing a new needle and seal, but didnt know what he was talking about.....Im not gonna lie I was way to excited when I was looking at the bike and my mind was a little pre occupied, just wanted to see what you guys thought it would be.....I need to get a service manual for this beast....is the actual honda manual the way to go or are the others just as good? Thanks zrxer its good to be here, tons of good info and I love checking out all the pics and stuff. Ive always wanted a true thumper especially a xr600r so I am one happy camper right now, got the bike for a pretty good deal so I am trying to plan a few mods to do right away, first one being the skid plate and some new bars, and then I just wanna go through the bike and make sure everything is good and repair or replace anything bad.

Nice avatar HT. lol! What's that from?

Always makes me wonder what you're gonna come up with next. :banana:

Ever heard of the Muntz Cycle Park?

Sometimes I wonder what I'll come up with next...

Ever heard of the Muntz Cycle Park?

Sometimes I wonder what I'll come up with next...

:lol::banana::banana:

Guess I'm not alone

Does anybody have a link to the part # for the seal behind the front sprocket? Im not seeing it in the parts store.

About the original topic of this post - the oil leak behind the front sprocket.

Be careful you are not mis-diagnosing a leak from the power cables exiting the stator cover very close by the sprocket - as a countershaft seal leak.

Clean off the crap around it with petrol or degreaser then run it and see where the oil comes out.

On mine I thought it was gonna be the counrtshaft seal but was in fact the power cable rubber gland weeping oil that got swept back in the breeze over the shaft and sprocket.

Simply gooped up the cable exit with silicone sealant and fixed it..temporary but it works.

TDD

Will do....I ordered the oil seal just to have it just in case...anyway thanks guys for the help, I was having a hell of a time trying to find that oil seal in the parts diagrams....got a bunch of other parts coming in as well so hopefully they will be in by this weekend so I can get busy.

TDD it was indeed the wires coming out of the stator cover....can a guy just buy the little rubber deal that sorrounds the wires?

Hi Waterbar,

If it has a part number you can buy it - check with a dealer's microfiche.

Or go the cheapo route - thorough clean with metho/solvent then high-temp black gasket goo.

Either way it's easier than mucking about with oil seals - so rejoice :thumbsup:

TDD