Sign in to follow this  

2008 bad starting

My 2008 with 2009 engine has a bad starting attitude.

I use long strokes, short strokes when cold. Bike starts running for a second and then dies. Runs, dies, runs dies.

This repeats for about 10 times and then the running interval doubles. Then after 20 times it runs.

The bike has 2 hours on it. Any thoughts?

I already raised idle but it only raises the idle during the seconds it runs:bonk:

Good idea. I have ordered the feed cable to connect a battery. Will check if starting behaviour improved.

Thanks!

I'm having that same problem. My bike has more like 40 hours on it, but just started doing it in the middle of this winter. Seems like it almost wants to go but then dies about 5 times before it starts. It used to start on the 2nd or 3rd kick everytime.

My '08.5 had the same issue until I got to the 5 hour mark, that's when they finally start to break in and start/idle easier. After that you need to check your idle speed and maybe turn it up a couple of notches. And when you do adjust your idle do not go by ear, get an rpm gauge of some kind and set it to the correct rpm.

A way of not having to kick it so many times after it just died ~ again. Just give it a little bit of throttle, about an 1/8 of a turn, and just use the throttle for about 30 to 60 seconds after that it should be warm enough to idle on it's own (if the idle is set correctly).

I will attach a very smal lead battery to it, which I can make hide between the left frame bow.

I'll make a small hinch and drill a hole in it. This L-shaped plate can be bolted to the frame with the same bolt which attaches to the chain roller behind the frame bow.

The battery will stand on that L, far away from the hot engine.

I will ty rap the battery with two raps to the frame. Put some heat shield around it so it stays nice cool.

If the idle adjustment if incorrect, adding a battery will not help.

So after you add the battery, report back and let us know if it helped.

My idle level is currently around 2.000 rpm. Still doesn't help with starting. It just idles high and dies. We'l see...