Sign in to follow this  

weird carb problem

ok so today i put a new top end and clutch kit on my 98 RM 250. this is my old bike so its been sitting since early fall. runs great. anyway i drained the oil, antifreeze, took the carb off etc to do the top end. everything went back together fine but heres the werid thing. i went to start it and it fired on the 4th or 5th kick. choke on, turned choke off after start. turned the gas off cause i only wanted to run a bowl through it. revved it for a bit, probably a minute then wham! all of a sudden the sum gun just revved to the moon. like wide open. the throttle was closed though, im paniccing, i hit the kill switch and it didn't do anything. ran over to the carb side to drain the bowl manually but by the time i got the screwdriver it ran out and died. what the heck happend?

Started running lean as the fuel was running out - I prefer to drain the fuel manually.

LOL, this is what happens when you turn the fuel off... It will "rev to the moon" and then die. Me and my mates always pull tricks on each other, a common one is turning each others taps off. It can get quite dangerous as once I whent over the first berm because It revved its guts out just as I was approaching.

exactly. You shouldn't do that on a 2 stroke. When the fuel in the bowl gets low, you start getting more air and less fuel to the engine. This creates a lean "runaway" condition. It's easy to overheat and cause engine damage when this happens. So if you're gonna empty fuel from the bowl, do it with the drain plug on the bottom of the carb, not by running it empty.