Sign in to follow this  

where to start with a honda dominator nx650 1987. a little guidance please

hi there, just bought a dominator nx650 1987 2800km and not looked after but just cosmetic i thnk. a few teething problems. stalling and all that. played with idle scew and mixture, spark plug change and didn't seem to run to bad, sometimes. i did buy it as a project and to learn more about bikes. i'm an engineer so can figure out a lot by takin things apart but do need a little help on the proceedure front. i would like to know what i should be doing first, should i just strip the carb and engine down straight away or do some other bits first and see if it runs ok. i do want strip it all eventually but funds are a little tight after an accident 6 months ago and waiting for insurance (not my fault).

i have sorted the brakes out, fitted a new throttle cable cuz that snapped and tried to restore the chain and sprockets (once again cant afford new ons just yet) and they cleaned up fine with plenty of meat on the teeth. the throttle cable however seems a little tight even with the adjusters right in. started it up and it idled at 4000rpm. went to turn the idle screw down and it snapped, bugger. onto next question is ther an idle screw i can use from another bike as i dont seem to be able to find one for the dommie or anyone suggesting another. any help greatly appriciated. cheers ,sean

Well the carb is out now, tricky little bugger to get out the frame but we got there. Also had to drill the head off one of the screws for the thottle cable bracket as some fool had rounded it out. Now time to strip it down, extract the thread, and giv it a bloody good and much needed clean. Also i can turn a new idle screw to replace the broken one no problem, can't make the cable obviously but i'll see what i can come up with or if i can find one off another bike.