Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Titling a YZ450F in Colorado..

I am moving to Arvada in April and have a pair of YZ450's that I would like to get plated. I am curious on the process of doing this. I think I have everything I need already on the bikes (Headlight, Tail/Brake light, horn, mirror, DOT tires) but am unsure of the process.

I ask those of you who have done this before, what should I be prepared for? Is there any special paper work I need besides a Bill of Sale? How long does it take to get a plate once I apply for it? How strict are they on the inspection?

I am sorry if this is in the wrong spot but figured it would be best in here since it is a reginal question.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Chris

I just plated a 09 WR450. You need a Certificate of Equipment compliance and a certified VIN inspection. The state patrol can schedule a time to get the cert. of compliance and VIN inspection signed.

You need the signed VIN inspection and equipment complaince form, along with proof of insurance, the bill of sale and MSO when you go to the DMV and they will give you a plate and new title for the bike.

Fairly straight foward. Here is the equipment complaince form that lists everything required to be legal that will be checked by the state patrol http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1239161782966&ssbinary=true

The problem with that is I don't have MSO's for either.... In Minnesota MSO's mean nothing and they are the first thing lost or thrown away. Is there any way to get it plated without a MSO. I read on the CO DMV site that a notorized bill of sale was good enough but I was hoping someone could verifiy that. Also the WR isnt maked with the dreaded "For Offroad Only" VIN like the YZ is. Is that going to be a problem?

Edited by larsoc5
spelling

I think I may have answered all of my questions thanks to the sticky at the top!! :banana: I should have looked a little harder...

Thanks

It is now far more difficult than in the past. Good Luck!

How so if you don't mind me asking? Any help would be appreciated...

It is now far more difficult than in the past. Good Luck!

The ONLY thing more difficult is that you cannot self-certify that equipment compliance has been met....other than that, the requirements remain the same.....pretty easy, really.

Thank you, that is what I thought. I will let you know how it goes. It will be about a month before I will have the opprotunity to get this done though. According to the DMV the only form needed is the DR 2686 as coxr650l mentioned before. So it looks like I will set-up an appointment with the State Patrol and cross my fingers.

Thanks agian for everything.

Chris