Sign in to follow this  

Embarrasing story, help me guys..

So, I do a top end/bottom end build last spring...I ride about 17 hours. I do some mundane bullcrap stuff and then go out riding one day, about 3 rides before I tear it down for the winter. The boy pulls up next to me and says some bullcrap...I take it as he's talking to much, like always, and thrust my hand forward as if I'm in charge. A Half mile later my bikes sputtering and I smell antifreeze burning..., were only a mile and a half from where we started. I stop incredulous, my bike never runs anything but perfect. I see radiator fluid gushing from down where the hose hooks to the water pump. I realize that I must have missed tightening it. I bee-line for the jeep and my trailer. I know I got it over hot, but I ride it another 3 times and it runs like a raped ape, no other bikes can touch it. So I tear it down bolt by bolt like a good dum ass cause it's winter. I get it 90% put back together and then decide to look in the exhaust port, at my newish piston...I'm using a older flashlight with a seemingly yellow tint to the bulb. What I see is a yellowish glow to my cylinder and piston, and a bunch of blow-by on the piston itself. I know I have to start over, ordered the new top-end already...but I'm having nightmares...please tell me what to look for in the cylinder in the case of overheating...blisters?...chipping? I dont wanna put another top end in just to have the cylinder fail...sorry for the long post, but I love my kx. What do I look for?...my cylinder was in A-1 condition before this. Jeekinz/KDX/Chokey...please help, and no discrimination intended, but I know those guys know their shit. :crytears4real.gif:

I'll rip it down tomorrow and post pics...is it possible I just melted the rings a bit and the cylinders ok? please say yes...hell, lie to me. I feel like someone hurt my kid, for real. I suppose I could cry real tears on youtube if it'll go in my favor.

Agreed, although you didn't ask for my advice :banana:. You'll have to tear it down and check the plating. If you had it replated when you did the top, chances are you're gonna be ok with a new piston and rings since it doesn't sound like you seized it or anything. Aftermarket plating is some seriously hard material. It will usually wear material off the piston without wearing the plating down.

Once you have it torn down any damage to the cylinder wall should be pretty obvious. Look for vertical grooving in the plating.

Agreed, although you didn't ask for my advice :lol:.

Thats because I took my frustrations out on a 12 pack last night...and I feel much better now. :banana:

I'm going to start ripping into it in a hour or two....just need a pot of coffee or two.

ok, got the pics just gotta upload them. I have a few decent ones, had no idea how tough it would be to get a good pic...

what I found was a yellowish ring about an inch wide down a bit from the top of the cylinder...it mostly came off with a little scotchbrite. There is still a little discoloration, it's hardly noticeable.

There are a few little lines in that one top pic but you cant feel them. I hadnt done a top end on a modern 2 stroke, so when I did the last one I pulled the kips apart and had a bitch of a time putting it back together...I'm a little intimidated by it lol. I'm laid-off right now so I cant really afford a manual. But I did get it right....last time.

I noticed these grooves today but not the last time....pipe seems to be a little tweaked and doesnt quite fit perfectly...

046.jpg

I'm on my phone right now so I can't tell with 100% certainty but it looks like the cylinder is ok, I can't see that scratch very well. Regardless, a replate would never hurt.

I'm on my phone right now so I can't tell with 100% certainty but it looks like the cylinder is ok, I can't see that scratch very well. Regardless, a replate would never hurt.

It would hurt an unemployed guy. I dont see anything majorly wrong, no flaking or blisters. I think I got lucky, however I wish it hadnt happened. My kid was yelling about me loosing anti-freeze...I shook my head yes and drove away like a dumb ass. lol

You're gonna want to go through that water pump, make sure there was no damage caused by being run with a reduced level of coolant. If an engine is overheated for a short time it should be okay. If you're on a budget, put a new piston in and some gaskets and be done with it.

You're gonna want to go through that water pump, make sure there was no damage caused by being run with a reduced level of coolant. If an engine is overheated for a short time it should be okay. If you're on a budget, put a new piston in and some gaskets and be done with it.

Thanks, I hadnt thought of that. Just look for play in the impeller shaft or something?