Sign in to follow this  

Tank capacity mod.

I found this on the Aloop site and thought you Husky guys needing more range out of your new bikes think it may work. I used to blow the dents out of aluminium tanks with compressed air on the bikes of the 70''s and it worked great. You have a fuel pump to consider in the tank...I think.

"How can I get more fuel capacity out of an Aloop tank? One thing you can try is the "boiling water" trick to expand the tank. Empty the tank all the way, then (with tank installed on the bike) fill it to the top with boiling water. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, then inflate the tank gently by mouth thru the vent hose. It'll blow up like a balloon. You don't need much pressure, that's why you do it by mouth and never with compressed air. After you've grown it a bit, (use your judgment about what looks right), then just tie off the vent tube and let it sit overnight. You can use this trick with any plastic tank, and you can usually get up to a quart more capacity without really changing the look of the tank."

I use a hand tire pump!

Also make sure to leave all your plastic on or it won't fit later.

Be careful because I've seen people blow out their tanks.

That's why I use a hand pump and only a little air at a time.

The Husky tanks are a problem, because there's not much room for expansion.

Be careful.

BlipBlip/HuskyRips

........Empty the tank all the way, then (with tank installed on the bike) fill it to the top with boiling water. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, then inflate the tank gently by mouth thru the vent hose. It'll blow up like a balloon. You don't need much pressure, that's why you do it by mouth and never with compressed air. After you've grown it a bit, (use your judgment about what looks right), then just tie off the vent tube and let it sit overnight. You can use this trick with any plastic tank, and you can usually get up to a quart more capacity without really changing the look of the tank."

It works.......I (carefully, in stages) did that same plastic tank expansion method on my old '94 Suzuki DR350 dirt model (& a XR350 prior to that)

Didn't use boiling water, but was uncomfortably hot. 3 heat/cool cycles over an afternoon, took it from 2.9gal to 3.2gal.....so roughly 10% increase capacity/range.

Honestly have no idea how this would effect an in-tank fuel pump, but I might be a bit nervous about that.

That is a great idea! I am hesitant because of plastic fitting, etc... + if I damage it, a new one is rare/expensive... I wonder whether or not George thinks it is a good idea :banana: I could see it going either way

very tempting though!

Just received a 3.4 gal tank from JustGasTanks.com for my 08 TE510. I will post the results after I try this out in the next week or so.

Just received a 3.4 gal tank from JustGasTanks.com for my 08 TE510. I will post the results after I try this out in the next week or so.

you mean ims 3.0 gal ?

That is where I bought my IMS tank.

Good place to deal with, and unfortunately, because my first tank developed a leak at the seams, I learned their customer service is great

(no problems with replacement tank from IMS)

Anybody did a 2010 TE510 gas tank upgrade ?

Stock is 7.2 L but because of the tank shape there is always a 2.5 to 3.0 liter unusable... What a design !

Last year I parked my TE in the sun during a ride and the tank vent valve must've wiggled itself shut. I noticed it was weeping fuel from the petcock joint but thought it was "just one of those things". Later I had a mare of a job getting the tank off the bike to attend to the petcock and when I tried to refit the tank it would barely fit at all (it was really tight to get on the rubber spigots on the frame). I could hardly get the front of the seat to engage in it's mount either. Some time later I took the tank shrouds off to clean 'em and they were a real struggle to get back on too. It became such a pain to work on the bike that in the end I snagged another tank on ebay. My original tank is bolloxed, so the moral is go easy on the pressure!

ps: anyone want to buy a "high capacity" Husky fuel tank? :thumbsup: