Sign in to follow this  

Kickstart JAMMED

Hi, was riding my bike and all of a sudden the kickstart locked up and the bike died, I got it home, stripped the cylinder down, piston is fine and so is the barrel, kickstart is still locked up.

SO im guessing its the crank? How much would it cost roughly in labour and in parts to fit?? In £ please. :banana:

Buy a bottom end kit and do it yourself. Might as well buy a new top end too if you didn't just replace it.

You didn't say what bike it is so no one can tell you the exact price. For a 125 a complete top and bottom end kit is about £237. a 250R is about £296 for both top and bottom. Do the maintenance yourself and there is no labor fee.

The kits comes with every part you need, crank, bearings, piston, gaskets/seals. Motosport and RockymountainATV sell them although I have no idea if they ship international.

Your problem probably has nothing to do with the crank or the piston. More likely cause is the kickstart pawl is not releasing causing the gears to lock. Pull the clutch side off and check/remove the kickstart assembly. I'll bet with the kickstarter out of the bike, the motor turns over fine. Good luck.

I had this happen on one of my older bikes. Take off the right side cover, and take a look at the powervalve governor and check to see if the gear is bent or broken. Also check the clutch to make sure it is free and will turn, then take it off and turn the crankshaft by hand. If you can turn the crankshaft by hand, your fine in the bearing department.

Sorry! its an 03 CR85, Its turns over a little with the flywheel but its a bit jumpy after that Sumtimes it free's up a little just so i can kick it down but only just, after a few secs it jams up again. Im thinkin about taking it to a mechanic :banana: