Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on riding a DRZ over a wide range of elevations

I've seen a ton of great threads here on jetting and power mods but almost always the elevation specified is a fairly narrow range. I've been having trouble finding info that's relevant to how I ride. Often I can leave for a ride at basically sea level and be over 9000 ft within a couple of hours. In the past I've jetted bikes on the verge of being dangerously lean at sea level and deal with them being a bit rich at elevation with it being spot on somewhere in between. An adjustable mixture screw is easy enough to turn in or out so at least the bike will idle and take off well for where I'm at, but I'm not about to swap out jets two or three times on a day ride.

There must be others in this same position that have tried all the trial and error to help me get a good starting point. For the specifics on my bike, I just bought it and have barely rode it around the block, it's a used '02 S model. Two owners ago did the 3X3 mod, piped and jetted. The guy I bought it from didn't know how it was jetted and I haven't pulled the carb yet. Doesn't matter much as I need to lose the Big Gun system currently on as it's WAY to loud for areas I ride. I have a complete stock "E" system on the way from ebay which should get me to the volume I need. So given these parameters what would be a decent baseline for best ride-ability over such a wide range, not looking for peak power. Any other suggestions of mods that would work well with my goals in mind?

you have the right idea.jet it for elevation you want it to run best at and deal with it not being correct at the others.

you have the right idea.jet it for elevation you want it to run best at and deal with it not being correct at the others.

I think the lean side of things will define how far I can go that direction. I'd be tempted to go with stock jetting just for a baseline and see how well that does all the way up high except I've read here that once the 3X3 is done jetting is required. I seem to remember one of your posts saying the 3x3 with stock jetting is fine over 4000 ft or so (if I remember right) but at sea level is that dangerous lean or just "not ideal" lean. If dangerous what's the leanest I can run at sea level with the opened air box and not worry about overheating the motor?

i have a stock bike and will be taking it to Yosemite in may and was thinking the exact same thing. should i just leave it stock since rejetting for just a 2 day ride then having to rejet again sounds tedious? im not a real track burner, fast speed type of rider. mostly fire roads. any help will be good help.

i have a stock bike and will be taking it to Yosemite in may and was thinking the exact same thing. should i just leave it stock since rejetting for just a 2 day ride then having to rejet again sounds tedious? im not a real track burner, fast speed type of rider. mostly fire roads. any help will be good help.

Jackroot,

In most cases people can ride this area without the need to re-jet. Personally I ask my mechanic to jet my bike for that 2500 - 3500 foot elevating since that's where i do most of my riding anyway.

My DR-Z 400SM has stock carb, airbox and exhaust.

I've ridden it from sea level to almost 10,000 feet in Yosemite.

Never a hiccup.

I'm probably the only guy on the planet who's left his bike in stock form, but it works.

I jet my BSR carb for an open pipe (Yosh RS-2) and 3x3 mod ridden at see level. Last weekend I went on a ride that required me to reinstall the spark arrestor and took me up to nearly 5000' ASL. Other than feeling choked a bit at 7000+ rpm on the highway it ran great. I'll be doing similar rides fairly often but since I spend 90% of my time closer to 1000' ASL with the pipe uncorked I'm going to keep it jetted for that condition.