Sign in to follow this  

California Gorman/Pyramid Lake Camping

When entering the Gorman off-road area using Smokey Bear road enterence there is a camping ground area accross the way there kinda set upon the hill there and I know there is a fire station back there. It is not part of the off-highway but part off the Pyramid Lake property. Has anyone ever camped there? We like to ride Gorman area but hate the noisy inconciderate riders at 1am in he morning so I figure we could try that different camping spot and see how it is.

Yeah, it's ok. Dry camping like in Hungry Valley. Picnic tables but no covers. Don't think all the sites could accommodate RV's or trailers, but you should probably have the place to yourself, so you should be able to find something larger if you need. There are campground "hosts" there as well, so it keeps the noise low. You do have to go back out to Smokey Bear road to get to Hungry Valley, there is no access directly from HV.

Too bad there isn't direct access to Hungry valley as those spots look good. However, if there was a trail, those too would turn into the loud and crazy camping spots like the OHV. The times I did camp at HV, I dragged my popup out into the open camping area away from the staging areas. You can still hear the noise in the distance.

We just have a big box tent trailer so it should fit just fine then and will definately be checking it out on Good Friday weekend. Making the trip to smoley bear road is ok as a plated bike is the only way to go.

I've been there many times not bad. I had a 24' motorhome there.