Sign in to follow this  

hard start fix for 650l

For a over a yr I have been struggling to start my 650l. It oftens runs the NEW battery down before it fires. My buddy Ed said, "lean it on its left side before you try to start it."

Works every time.....

For a over a yr I have been struggling to start my 650l. It oftens runs the NEW battery down before it fires. My buddy Ed said, "lean it on its left side before you try to start it."

Works every time.....

Well if this is true then you better pull the carb off her and clean the bugger out of it.........this IS NOT NORMAL:lol:

i just look at the start button and mine fires right up..:lol:

Have you rejetted the piggy yet,,doing Daves Mods will definately improve the starting..i can`t imagine cranking a bike for any amount of time,it either starts,or i`d kick the bugger into submission...:banana:

B

i just look at the start button and mine fires right up..:banana:

Ahhhhh, using your Jedi powers to start your piggy you are B? smiley-vault-star-wars-025.gif

I agree w/brianhare in that there may some crap in your carb or in the jets. When was the last time you cleaned out your carb and have you ever rejetted? Did you install an aftermarket plastic fuel tank before the issue started? I would've torn through the fuel system to find and fix the issue (if that's where it indeed lies) a long time ago, no way I'd put up w/that for a year. Now, if you only ride her a few times a year then ok but still...

Tear into the carb, it's not that tough, looks a little intimidating at first but study the esploded carb diagram from the service manual and focus and you'll get thru it in no time. Hopefully it's a simple fix for ya. Best of luck man!

Just read your sig mmcfd62 and saw "dynajet" so I assume you have rejetted. Perhaps you have a faulty jet, dirty jet, poorly seated jet or an incorrect jet? Did you alret have the prob prior to rejetting? Although could be something else as you have to tilt it over to start it. This is gonna sound stupid but is your tank ever full or near full when you've started it? Only ask as the petcock is on the left side. I noticed that before I rejetted starting was sometimes hard and always had to use the choke, now at 55/160 w/the Q4 and High Flo header I rarely have to use the choke although still do for at least 30 secs or until she's warm enough to idle w/o the choke engaged whatsoever but she fires up within a second or two. Just tossing a couple pennies into the ring. Best of luck and let us know what you do to fix it.

Yeah,and just because it has a DJ kit doesn`t mean a lot,,if you didn`t put in a bigger pilot jet,,DJ kits don`t come with a pilot jet,never understood that.......this bike really needs a 55 pilot to start decent..:banana:

B

Works every time.....

Yep, that is what I have been saying for some time now too. When the engine is cold and the fact there is no accelerator pump on the carb, it simply works. I was told the tip by a person who used it to start the old Brit bikes he rode in the past. I get what you are saying, but sometimes simple, functional advice gets clouded up on here. No need to complicate things.

Most likely a jetting issue if it's always been that way. Sounds super lean - scary. If you have the stock pilot jet, go up one size. That engine will snap to life as soon as you get near that red button - well, almost that easy.

:banana:

"lean it on its left side before you try to start it."

How far do you have to lean it? 20°, 60°, 90°?

If you drain the bowl until the gas runs clean/clear, does it have the same effect?

If you have a dynajet kit then you will need to increase the size of the pilot jet (to a 55 or 58) for sure. Also I don't understand why it would start easier by leaning the bike on its side unless your float height is not set correctly.

This can be somewhat normal behavior if you're stuck with gasohol and the bike has sat for a week or so.

Dave