Sign in to follow this  

sticky brake pedal

Bike:'06 Wr250F

Problem:Sticky rear brake pedal

Details:Both brakes have worked fine since I bought the bike.[2nd owner]I went ridding about 2 weeks ago and 10 min into the ride my rear brake pedal starts to stick when pushed down.I would have to lean over and pull the lever up.I still was able to stop,but would drag because the pedal didnt go back up.Rode the rest of the day with just the front brakes,not much fun.Got home and washed the bike, made sure there was nothing jammed in or around the brakes.Still would get stuck at the bottom of the stroke.Next I bled the brakes manually,didnt gravity feed.Still getting stuck.The spring from the frame to the pedal is still in good condition.Im going to replace the fluid mon or tues night after work.

Should I look at rebuilding the master cylinder or is there some bigger problem here?

I would check the pivot point, there's probably some dirt up in there. Take it apart and lube it up and see if that works. I doubt it's the brake it'self.

Above advice is right on. Plus I went to the hardware store and found a spring that was stronger than stock, thicker spring wire. Had to cut it off, but my point is with a stronger spring, it's easier to feel the peddle AND it will return better. I don't know why Yamaha sort of skimped on the spring, but my opinion is they did.

Another vote for the pivot bolt and pedal being drier than a desert. :banana:

Hopefully, both parts are not galled with metal worn away.

Thanks for the replies.Didnt even think about greasing the pedal up when I had it apart the other day.Will do it tonight and check back with my findings.