2001 xr200 wont start

I bought an 2001 xr200 the other day knowing it didnt start. I have traced the problem down to a fuel problem. It wont start. It wont even kick over. I have cleaned the carb completely 3 times, it is completely clean. When i try to start it I have found the spark plug gets wet with gas. The one problem i have found is that the idle screw is missing the o-ring, washer and spring (person before me probably lost them) and it was just screwed in all the way. Is this the problem? if not then what could it be?

is this the bike you bought recently? I vaguely remember seeing your thread

anyways, how do you know it's a gas problem? if you spray carb cleaner or quick-start into the throat of the carb (or place a couple drops on the piston), does it fire or begin to start?

how's the spark plug?

fresh tank of gas? how's the compression?

does the choke affect it?

will it spark with a roll start?

are you sure there's supposed to be an o-ring and washer?

HJ01_0037.gif

I can't really tell from the fiche...and I don't know how the carb works 100%, but I think that screw only changes the height of the slide, which changes the idle speed. I don't think (and again, I'm not 100% on this), it would keep the bike from starting. I'll let someone else chime in there

if it's not the idle screw, did the previous owner get it to start at all?

The previous owner said he had it running all summer and he out it away without winterizing it and now it wont start. I did recently buy this bike. And in the schematic, the parts i am speaking of are the set of screw labeled #8. It has good compression, it has a blue spark, but it is a little weak (i will be getting a new plug), choke doesnt effect whether it starts or kicks over, and the gas is brand new. I drained all the old gas and bought this gas 2 days ago. It also wouldnt start when I sprayed starter fluid into the carb throat, and a little in the spark plug hole. I cant get it to fire. I hope this info helps.

hmm...seems like you got everything I would've guessed, so I'm going to pass it along.

Otherwise, this is what the service manual says:

-fuel delivery: check the tank, check the fuel hose to make sure gas comes out (through the shutoff switch especially), check for fuel line blockage, and check the carburetor fuel inlet for blockage. Satisfactory?

-Ignition: Remove plug and inspect for appearance and spark replace if necessary, and since it was wet with gas, the engine was probably flooded. Make sure ignition switch is not shorted to ground. Make sure there's a good connection between the cap and the plug, and the coil and the frame. If spark is not satisfactory, a larger problem may exist.

-Compression: this is noted as less likely the cause of starting trouble. Use a compression gauge, and if it's as low as 100psi, it's still good enough to start. Do the oil drop test and test compression again to see if rings and bore are worn, also check the valves.

could someone else chime in here?