Sign in to follow this  

Lost spark suddenly on 83 XR200R

Okay alittle bummed cause just got this bike back together after rebuilding it, it was running great parked it and then it wouldn't restart.

Pull the brand new plug out and it looked okay but no spark didn't have another plug for the 200 so took one of the BR9EG plugs unscrewed the top piece off try it and it also wouldn't spark.

So pull the gas tank up and check wires everything was plugged in so just for the hell of it disconnect the kill switch still no spark.

The only thing different as far as electrical system is it using the newer 86+ stator/flywheeel/cover.

kind of at a loss at the moment on what to check next of course gonna try a new proper plug again.

When Honda changed to 12volt lighting they also changed the ignition system components, but I don't know if they changed the ignition windings in the stator, so wild speculation on my part is the 86+ stator may not be compatable with the early CDI box and coil. The pulse generators are all the same.

There are some multimeter tests that you can do that will indicate damaged electronics. My 81-83 XR200 Honda Shop manual has the following data:

The stator winding black/white wire should be 200-500 ohms to ground, the 86 should be simular.

The coil should check 0.2-0.8 ohms primary to ground and 8-15k ohm secondary to ground.

The two leads of the pulse generator should check 30-200 ohms.

The CDI box should check (all values in k ohms):

Blk/W to green 2-50

.........to blk/red 0.5-10

.........to blue/yel 2-50

Blue/yel to green 0.5-10

Blk/R to Green 0.5-10

.........to blue/yel 2-50

All other connections should be infinity

I have a 81 xr200 i am not getting any spark. I ran the test on the coil, CDI box, and Pulse generator. I get a reading every where but the pulse generator. Do i have to replace the who pulse generator or is there a way to fix it? Any help would be great!

Thanks