Sign in to follow this  

Need help—worst armpump ever.

I never got armpump once last year but yesterday, during the first Gran-Prix of the season, I pumped up about 3 turns in and it didn't stop until an hour later (when I pulled in to pit). It was pretty bad and I had to fight just to keep my throttle hand on the bike.

Anyway, in 2010, I've been noticing that even during high intensity weekend riding and track practices—I pump up. I honestly can't figure out why. I'm in the best shape of my life by far. I've lost 95 lbs. since this time last year. 5 days per week I am getting cardiovascular work for 45 minutes (inside my target heart zone). I lift weights 4 times per week—light weight, high reps, full body scenario, and I do it like I am circuit training.

Would anyone have any insight or suggestions to help me shake this issue? I'm all ears about anything that might be causing it or anything that might make it go away. :banana:

Do you get really nervous and let the coarse obstacles and opponents get to your head? When this happens, it's common to tense up which doesn't allow blood to flow as freely as it would when working out or practicing (when there's less pressure on your mind). If you think this could be your problem, you just have to relax and remember it's all about having fun. It's a lot easier said than done though, of course.

How much water are you taking in? before, during and after your ride?

I've found for myself that if I avoid caffeine before riding and "hyper-hydrate" it helps a lot. Like to the point that your peeing constantly before you start to ride.

I have to agree with xc700116. I was always drinking water before and after riding. I crashed hard, broke my foot and dislocated my shoulder. I was off the bike for almost 3 weeks and got on the redbull diet. I just got on the bike and pumped up right way. I know that my fitness is good, but I do really think caffeine plays a huge part. Im playing around with this as an experiment now, because its gots my confused too.

On a side note. My dad got a physical and found a irregular heartbeat. They told him to quit caffeine too. Hes just got back on the bike too and said that his arm pump hasent been bad or as bad as before.

Do you wear elbow guards? I just got some and they are a little on the small side. The past two times I've ridden with them my forearms pump like crazy.

Going to get a larger size or modify these smaller ones to make them not as tight. Just a thought:ride:

gripping the handle bars too tightly,nerve damage and just being under tranined can and will add to your problem..i find that if my son has a problem on race day with a body part that he did not train hard enough in the wieght room or on practice days...the only way to learn to throw a football is to throw a football...period...u have to get practice on the track..this is a must..i think u r going far too high in your reps..work the forearms heavy...work them heavy and the endurance will come..relax, get more confidence by more practice...opertunity comes to those that are prepared