Sign in to follow this  

XT550 CDI repair, how to soften the epoxy-rubber?

Hi all

The bike is a ’83 XT550.

Since the CDI is shot anyway I am trying to get the PCB board of the Epoxy-rubber compound, to see if there is any chance of repairing it.

I have had the CDI soaking in Acetone for a few days but the process of softening up the epoxy-rubber is slow. After 24 hours I can get a little of the epoxy-rubber off, and then I soak the CDI again… and then do everything over again…

Now I am getting close the components them selves, so I need the epoxy-rubber extra soft so I won’t damage the components. Should I simply leave the CDI in the acetone for a few days or is there some trick I can use?

BTW, has anyone experience in repairing CDI’s? What is the most likely to be broken? The main capacitor?

CDI_gutted_01.jpg

CDI_gutted_02.jpg

i was wondering the same thing. the cdi cuircut is pretty simple and would be cheap to repair. places refurbish stators that are covered is the same stuff. my first guess would be the capacitor also

Have repaired several CDIs and the most common component to fail is the scr. Capacitors degrade after a few years and should be replaced if you can get at them. Have tried several solvents with the same result as you. Soak and pick,soak and pick, soak and pick. The epoxy is very tough!

Thanks guys. So I guess there is no better way.