Sign in to follow this  

CL350 lean on one side rich

working a 72 CL350 for a friend, had not run in 30 years. Mint condition. I cleaned the carbs and fired it up, regapped the points and reset timing statically. Bike starts and runs and rides. However plug reads lean on right jug and normal to a tad rich on the left. Float level ? or sticky float needle on the lean jug? bike is like new, reading just a little over 9K on it. Inside of tank is pristine, like new. Has a new petcock on it. Twins are not my thing, need help in sorting this out. Bike also has te CV carbs on it and boots are good. Maybe an intake manifold leak on that right carb? I plan in installing a new poinst plate and reseting the timing and use a strobe. I also am thinking of performing a compression test.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things. An air leak somewhere would cause lean running as well as poor compression. You may be losing some compression in your valves, I would adjust them to spec and see if that helps.

I found the lright intake boot fitment loose and tightened the clamp as far as it would go, bike still has a hesitation at upper RPM in 4th 5th gear around 60MPH. I am going to press on with the points plate and the compression test. I am thinking it may be internal a sticky valve or stuck piston ring from all of the years of inactivity. If you wanted to just run it around at 50MPH it would do it all day long , but lacks power on uphills, and cuts out, feels boggy, that is leading me more and more to think it is compression related. Of course worn points / incorrect timing will make it exhibit the same symptoms, hope to quickly eliminate that possibility later on today.

UPDATE, compression test proved ok, with 148PSI on each jug. plugs showed evidence of burning vey nice. tan - light brown coloration. Adjusted carbs to enrichen a wee bit, rode it again, this time some stumbling like it wanted to blow it all out if you will, so I gassed it and took the bike up to 80MPH 9,000 RPM Redline. Flat out. Seems to run fine to me, and as nice of an old vintage bike as it is I would not take it there again. "Customer - wants full range"... and that's ok, but these older bikes are not nor were they ever intended to live consistently within the danger zone of redline. A flash into and out of it, ok but even at that your riding the bike hard. I have found that if it is ridden normally - it runs perfect. Not my favorite bike by far, but I am learing something about 350 twins as I have a full on SL350 resto going on.