Sign in to follow this  

Masterlink

Trying to take my chain off, and i was just wondering if there is an easy way to remove the masterlink? it is a RK X-ring chain. for a crf250. there is no special tool right, just use like a screwdriver?

Just a regular masterlink with the clip right? Yeah I get the edge of a flathead screwdriver and then tap it and it pops off.

Just be careful...I did this and the screwdriver slipped and put a nice gouge in my index finger. I wear gloves while doing that now. lol

I cant get it. spent a good 15-20 mins and nothin. there has to be a better way, or a special tool. My frustration level went through the roof, and had to walk away.

I cant get it. spent a good 15-20 mins and nothin. there has to be a better way, or a special tool. My frustration level went through the roof, and had to walk away.

Cut-off wheel/dremel time if you have another link. Or you can just take the wheel or front sprocket off.

I use a flat tip screwdriver big enough to cover the top and bottom of the clip and give it a tap with a hammer. Should come right off.

Do you have a pic? A Master link should pop right off, rust or not.

you can also use a large screwdriver and insert and pry the clip apart from the side and that loosens it up, sometimes will roll forward enough to come off or at least stay a bit open, then you can tap it off the rest of the way.

Do you have a pic?

Pic would be nice, especially if its an endless chain. Then I want to see a vid of him using a hammer and screwdriver...

:banana:

• Like 1

Pic would be nice, especially if its an endless chain. Then I want to see a vid of him using a hammer and screwdriver...

:banana:

That would be a video of the decade.

I ALWAYS use needle nose pliers when working with master link clips. It makes taking them off and putting them on a snap. Literally. Get one end of the pliers to rest on the chain link rod, and the other end to rest against the edge of the master link clip. Then squeeze the pliers shut, and presto!

Ok so I just got the clip off, it was all about position, like i had no leverage on the link. but that was easy compared to getting the link through and apart. I used a screwdriver to try and pry it apart, no go. sprayed WD to try and loosen it up. Its just not happenin for me today...

So...you got it off or...no?

EDIT: This may be a shot in the dark, but is your chain like super tight or anything?

That would be a video of the decade.

I ALWAYS use needle nose pliers when working with master link clips. It makes taking them off and putting them on a snap. Literally. Get one end of the pliers to rest on the chain link rod, and the other end to rest against the edge of the master link clip. Then squeeze the pliers shut, and presto!

same here

So...you got it off or...no?

EDIT: This may be a shot in the dark, but is your chain like super tight or anything?

I just got the U shape clip off. now I am trying to get the master link off, like push the prongs through to break the chain apart. There are no wheels, swingarm, or chassis componets on my bike right now.

get the link in between the sprockets on top. push and pull the chain to side load the links......keep applying pressure to the link while doing so.....it will come off.

I think you'd be better off in the stands watching people ride rather than being anywhere near a bike yourself. Thats just my two cents.

take it easy dude, no one asked you what you think. Why say anything if its going to be rude. Don't say anything if it is not helpful. That is MY two cents

• Like 1