Sign in to follow this  

06 KX450F idle

I have an 06 kx450f, rode back in November. No issues. Cleaned air filter as usual. Have not had too much time to ride since. Been starting every once in a while since. Problem now is, it's acting like it's running lean. Or sucking air. Won't come back down to idle. Then when it does, it will die because I've moved the throttle stop to compensate. Had the carb apart five or six times and can't find anything wrong. Help!

Sounds like something has changed when the bike sat. In the carb. Corrosion or something like that.

Hot starter stuck slightly open?

* plunger free and oiled in the carb?

* Cable routed correctly, lubed and not kinked?

Perished AP diaphragm with a leak in it? No idea if that would cause a lean out.

Like I said, I've had the carb completely disassembled four or five times in the last couple of days. Everything is oiled, cleaned, and crisp. Cables (hot start and throttle) are oiled and move freely, and are not kinked. I am looking for maybe something that I'm missing. By the way, the valves are all in spec. Haven't found any cracks in any rubber or the intake header.Aargh!:banana:

So ALL carb gaskets looked OK?

Normally if a bike runs fine then is stored for some time, and later does not run properly, then last thing I'd look at are carb settings. But you better tell us all the jet sizes and fuel screw pos, just to eliminate jetting.

tryed the fuel screw, my bike made a similar problem the fuel screw helped it alot.

otherwise, old petrol?

i've heard if you spray some wd 40 or something around the carb gaskets when the bikes running and if the idle raises its a air leak

but definetely try new petrol

Bike is stock except for yoshi pipe. Jets are stock. PAS is 2 out (factory), with a twist or turn here and there to find the sweet spot (doesn't help with hanging idle). Bike is run at sea level, fairly high humidity, mild temperature. No problems all summer, then bam, hanging idle. Makes it hard to hit ruts in turns and jumping is an adventure when you can't chop the thottle.