Sign in to follow this  

2006 Crf250x

Hey i was just wondering if the 2006 crf250x is an overall good bike for trails and for quality. Thanks

I have an 07 X and love it for the type of riding I do, which is 95% woods and single-track. There are times (few and far between) where I get it on the track and it performs well there as well. I change the (engine) oil and filter every second or third ride and clean the air filter after every ride if its dusty but never less than the motor oil. Transmission oil every other (motor) oil change. I know this is probably over kill but I have yet to have trouble with the bike after 2 years of riding at least a couple hours per week.

Daniel

the only weak spot is the soft intake valves. i installed the stainless kit with the new springs. after that what a difference in the pop out of he exhaust. its a great woods bike and it also has the magic button..

wildman250x,

I had the same popping on the decel until I took off the smog control and put on the Applied Racing smog block-off kit and it went away. I don't have rangers to keep happy so I do not miss the smog box.

Daniel

Hey i was just wondering if the 2006 crf250x is an overall good bike for trails and for quality. Thanks

Yes.

I have an '06. The infamous valve problem was addressed for the '06 models, so don't worry about it - if you're not bouncing off of the rev limiter all the time and keep your air filter clean, you shouldn't have a valve problem anyway.

You'll need to re-jet and possibly cut the airbox for better response. I cut my airbox and removed backfire screen, went to a 45 pilot jet (I found the AP mod unnecessary, but YMMV), I went two clips down on the needle, and (I think) a 158 main - all at ~500ft @ 65 degrees.

The suspension is great out of the box, and the motor is strong enough to haul you up any hill, but tame and smooth enough that it won't get you killed just because your right hand got bounced by hitting a rock (like a 450 would).

Invest in radiator guards and a good full-coverage bash plate.

Oh yea, its pretty too.

JayC

hey taylorrep, i know the pop your speaking of. never had that one no smog set up. the pop im referring to is at idle when the cylinder fires. because the intake valves are actually sealing during the compression stroke the bike is using all its power instead of leaking by the valves.. it makes a nice exhaust sound.