Sign in to follow this  

Broke chain, punched hole in magneto cover

So as I was thrashing the bike on my daily commute to work, my chain snapped. It was almost like a non-event, nothing loud or scary and it wasn't until I stopped and looked, that I figured out what had happened. So my plan was to

1) buy a chain at lunch,

2) pick up my buddy to drive my truck home after I put on the new chain

3) just roll.

I got through 1 and 2 just fine. Bike cranked with no unusual noises, but wouldn't start. After some troubleshooting, discovered that the chain punched a hole in the magneto cover, ate through some ignition wiring and grrred up some of the crankcase cover. Some electrical tape, a piece of string and some wire scrounged from the back of my truck got me rolling back home an hour later.

DSCF1128.jpg

So, now I plan to do some wiring harness mods to move the wires out of the direct path of the chain/sprocket as much as possible in case this happens again. First question I have is where the wiring goes to the starter, is that part of the magneto cover just "open space"? I can't fit my fingers into the whole thing to see if there's anywhere for dirt/mud to get at the important stuff, nor are there any leaks. I know that once I pull the cover, I'll answer the question for myself, but want to know what to plan for when I go get jb weld, wires, etc... I also need to know if I need to order a new magneto cover.

DSCF1130.jpg

DSCF1132.jpg

This is the garage I work out of, hence the questions before pulling the cover off:

MyGarage.jpg

Next question is about a case saver that might save a case better than what's stock. Is there anything out there or am I going to have to engineer something?

CaseSaver1.jpg

Casesaver2.jpg

The first lesson learned for me is that chain maintenance is kind of important (I've been slacking on it). I'll be getting an O ring chain in hopes that I may fare a little better if I slack on chain maintenance in the future. After searching through the DRZ specific threads, the only one I found is a post about how great JB Weld is. I think that I'm lucky with the what I found, and how much worse it could have been.

Is there anything else I should be asking? Thanks in advance.

Lucky you didn't take out the case itself, which is what the case save is for. Get a used cove off ebay or the TT classifieds. Or perhaps one of the members here has one they can sell you.

I know I'm lucky about what was taken and not taken. I need to know if I need to order a new case, or if what was taken out is something covering "empty space" where I can work around it, to do the other things I mentioned in my post.

Edited by sarasotausmc

looks like it damaged the main cases as well.look where the clutch actuator shaft goes down thru the case.

definately needs a stator cover. there is oil in the cover.

there is no need for a stronger case saver.

if your chain snapped it was well beyond worn out.

thanks for the reply Eddie, I'll definitely go and double check the case and stator cover. I've started it a few times, there's nothing leaking anywhere, or any odd noises. Check rog on the worn out chain:bonk:

So, I double and triple checked everything in my first post Eddie recoommended, and followed the advice I was given and here is the result. Refer to my first post questions and images for where I am going with this.

I snapped my chain, which was due to poor chain maintenance, and broke a piece off my magneto cover. Maintain your chain to stay away from DRZ pain. If I had done that, this thread would have never been started. I am sure that I am not the first that has done this. I haven't found the answers I have looked for on this site either by searches or from any of the replies received. Hopefully, I can help someone out by posting all of this to save time and money.

I'm gonna post what I find, in the best detail as I can, and with pics as it happens. Links that are provided below, are in the TT parts store images for a 2008 DRZ 400S, which by the way, are exactly what my local Suzuki dealer is using.

By my chain snapping under daily commute at 30 MPH, I messed up the magneto cover, part 18 here:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=703496&manufacturer=5&category=3&year=2008&model=18981

What was broken is directly behind parts 21 and 22 of the right hand side of the uppermost right hand corner of the images here (look at the pics in the first post):

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=703496&manufacturer=5&category=3&year=2008&model=18981

Go to the first post. I don't have the piece of the case that was broken off. I was told that there was oil in the space I had questions about. After nearly a week of troubleshooting and planning what I am going to do to fix this, I have learned the following:

There is some dead space in the casted part that I broke. Refer to the pics in my first post. Pics are difficult to take of the area, but I will post them up when I get further on. I pulled the part number 31 "COVER, STARTER IDLE GEAR ()" here. Bottom right hand of the image here:

11352-29F50

I am going to have to pull the entire magneto cover, part 18 referenced above, to fix the wiring as I want and do some engineering to avoid this happening when I neglect my chain again. Pics of the exact area will follow. Once I pulled the cover off, Part 31 here:

I found out that there is some empty space in the cover. I ran the bike for a while and q-tipped the area from the outside of the motor as shown in the first post, which I was told would be in the oil circulation. On the outside of the magneto cover, it's been completely dry after checking. Once I pulled the part number referenced above (COVER, STARTER IDLE GEAR ()

11352-29F50 ) I ran some dentist type picks between the gear and case, and didn't find anything leading to the outside of the cover.

SO, I am lucky to have saved a couple hundred bucks on something that I have learned about the importance of chain maintenance. I think that I can find a way to protect the ignition wiring (the yellow, green, blue and black wires (havent found the part number yet) from happening again by lengthening and changing of position of the wires. I hope that this will help someone where I didn't get it.

I have ideas of making a better case saver by deflecting a broken chain (maintain, less pain) away from what I showed in my first post part 1 here:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=703495&manufacturer=5&category=3&year=2008&model=18981:

I put alot of words here in hope this will help better than what I got here, or reading about JB Welds properties. My DRZ looks so sad and helpless and it's killing me.

As I update this, and move along fixing, please ask for pics or info on what you what you need to know. It's disappointing being here with so much info, and you find out that you are the "first" to have experienced something like this.