Sign in to follow this  

New rings - I have a question also?

I replaced my piston rings and reseated my valves this weekend. I asked a local bloke (well, local as in the country) for some advice, but since you guys and gals in the USA are awake and logged in (unless riding I hope) I thought I might tap in to some international knowledge.

What can I expect from the motor now after reseating the valves and the new rings? And what I mean by that question is, what can I expect to see which will make me worried otherwise, but because its new rings etc, I shouldn't worry. Or keep and eye on this, if you see A, B and C, then stop and open up. Things like that.

What I am experiencing now is as follows:

- she purrs to life immediately (:lol::banana::banana:)

- she idles strong

- she does not smoke

- she rides up and down the 20 feet of lawn nicely

- she rides up the road slowly nicely, then mis-fires a couple of times, then dies. Let her stand for bout 30 seconds, she starts again (I think this is just carb bowl issue)

- The third time she sputtered and fell asleep, I saw black smoke, not thick, just that it was black during sputtering then clear when idles (I suspect this is oil cause the rings need to seat, plus the High temp grease that I forgot to clear out of the inlet chamber when I put some on the valve shafts)

This is my first "new" engine, and I just need to know what to expect and what not to worry about, and what to look out for.

Recap:

- New rings (piston was fine, just cleaned carbon off)

- Barrel great (some experience from a R80G/S barrel inspection)

- Re-seated valves

- Carb cleaned carburettor

- Readjusted and checked, and rechecked valve clearances - :banana:

Thanks a million my friends. Hope to tap into some knowledge.

Happy trails

Make sure your choke is adjusted properly. If it's not seated correctly and you think it's off when it's not, this could be a cause. If mine needs choke to start and I forget to turn it off when it warms up, I'll remember in a hurry when I come to a stop and the engine stalls. It may also be a tank venting problem. Next time it stalls, remove the gas cap and see if it starts up.

Make sure your choke is adjusted properly. If it's not seated correctly and you think it's off when it's not, this could be a cause. If mine needs choke to start and I forget to turn it off when it warms up, I'll remember in a hurry when I come to a stop and the engine stalls. It may also be a tank venting problem. Next time it stalls, remove the gas cap and see if it starts up.

Didn't think about the tank venting bit....thanks. I will check the choke seating again tomorrow. :banana:

Happy trails

Sounds like fuel starvation?

Either carb or tank vent based...

What tank/fuel tap are you running

Sounds like fuel starvation?

Either carb or tank vent based...

What tank/fuel tap are you running

The standard one (ON, PRI, RES). Come to think of it, I haven't tried it today just on PRI. Will have to check that tomorrow. Damn.......why didn't I think about ruling that out today.....probably to much on my mind like: Did I put that one ring the right way up? Did I check the valve clearances correctly? Was that noise always there? Did I properly seat the valves? What if I didn't X and Y and she seazes? Etc etc etc

:lol::lol::banana::lol::banana::lol::banana::lol::banana::lol::smirk::lol::prof::lol::bonk::lol::worthy:

So, getting on to my bike again trying to figure out why she dies, I realised the answer was below my ass. Since my seat is in to be recovered, I put some rags on the frame and just prut around. With that, I crush the inlet snorkel and she dies of air starvation. :banana:

I R BABOON!

:banana::lol::banana::lol::banana::lol::banana::lol::smirk::lol::prof::lol::bonk::lol::worthy::lol::bonk:

So, getting on to my bike again trying to figure out why she dies, I realised the answer was below my ass. Since my seat is in to be recovered, I put some rags on the frame and just prut around. With that, I crush the inlet snorkel and she dies of air starvation. :banana:

I R BABOON!

Dude!! Your not supposed to openly admit that kind of stuff. :lol::bonk:

If I laugh, I want others to laugh with me....even at my expense.

So...please...everyone....laugh with me.

Ha ha ha....ha ha ha ha...ha ha....ha haha ha.....

haha nice one Inprogress . When you fitted new rings did you have the barrel honed ? if so you will experience a small amount of oil usage during the run in, also a very good idea to turn the engine over a few times then check the valves again I normally do this 3 times when doing the valves on my dr s , :banana:

Hey Cyrus. I checked the barrel and the hone lines was still perfectly visible. Slight glazing at the very top edge of the barrel. She is running great now.

I checked the valves a couple of times. Remember at one point I would turn over the engine and trying to rock the rockers as I go, ensuring I had the right TDC. Then checked them again, and again, and once more. I wanted them to be spot on. I might check them again in about 1000km just to be sure (re-seated the valves, so let them seat properly).

Happy trails.

Yeah I know....had to....need money for two business ventures.

And as soon as it allows, this will be my next purchase (along with a DR650 again)

Thanks to all the help and advise, I hope I was at least entertaining :lol::banana: :banana:

01113024@BMW-HP2-Enduro.jpg

Yeah I know....had to....need money for two business ventures.

And as soon as it allows, this will be my next purchase (along with a DR650 again)

Thanks to all the help and advise, I hope I was at least entertaining :):lol::applause:

01113024@BMW-HP2-Enduro.jpg

Good luck with the ventures! :thumbsup: