Sign in to follow this  

KX 500 Fork Kayaba?? Wont pump oil

I have a 94 kx500 and noticed while rebuilding that one of the front forks does not pump oil up the small tub inside. After cleaning and doing about everything I can I think that there is something wrong with the inner tube valves or something. Any ideas or know where I can get a diagram of the inner tube set up? The facotry micro does not have this diagram for the inner tube valve disassembly. Please Help!

Thanks!

It happens some times and bleeding takes time (not very often). If you have right clamp and T-bar (special tool) you can open the cartridge and check the reb nut. That nut which holds reb piston loosen sometimes when it is opened once. That will cause the problem. Check the piston ring also.

I pumped and pumped and it does not want to grab a suction. Moves fairly freely compared to the other fork. Are you saying that the reb nut is an adjustment nut? If so how to do you set it to stock? This shock may have had someone in it before me? Know of any schematics of this assembly?

Are you saying that the reb nut is an adjustment nut?

No, I mean that nut which holds the reb piston and stacks. You can see it also when take the cartridge out again and take a look inside it.

I have had couple of times this kind of promblem...checked every part > nothing unusual so I continued bleeding and finally got it bled.

I disassembled the fork cylinder and have the valves(looks like two different ones), shims, washer and nut in a pile YIKES. I think it was assembled wrong. All the parts look good and no wear and tear. How and what order do I reassemble this mess? They sort of all felt apart together. Does anyone know of a simple diagram I could use so I can get this problem licked?

Thanks!

Sometimes on the KYB's you need to pull the tube up and then put your hand over the tube and try to hold the air in as you push the tube down. This will help force the oil into the rod to where you can start bleeding. If not that then you may have to inspect the rebound/MV piston for debri in the valving or the check valve hung up.

doc

I have disassembled the valves and have the following parts:

Nut

Washer

Multiple shims

Collar

Spring

two valves

ANyone have a diagram or picture of how it goes back together?

I put it back to geather how I believe that it came out and it made sense. The washer with the spring under it was the check valve between two round (1/4" thick) valves with holes through them. When put back together, it would pump oil on the down stroke (fork upside down) but not on the up stroke and it was not that much oil. When I fully assembled the fork, it had all spring and no dampening. I am fustrated and dont know what to do next. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

You may have to take the other one apart and mimic the assembly. Sucks I know, but you don't really have another option.

When put back together, it would pump oil on the down stroke (fork upside down) but not on the up stroke and it was not that much oil. When I fully assembled the fork, it had all spring and no dampening. I am fustrated and dont know what to do next. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

are you talking about the complete fork??? upside down???

just to make sure, you have to bleed the cartridge by the cartridge rod.

if you turn a fully assembled fork upsidedown, it will loose damping immediately.

if you know that, sorry. if not, try it like that

Like Bartleby said, “I would prefer not to”. Surely someone has a picture of this part on the shock or has seen this issue before? Mechanics must have torn it not this hundreds of times and see this installation in their sleep ;-)

Thanks for all your help with this issue. I would appreciate any more input!

I put it back to geather how I believe that it came out and it made sense. The washer with the spring under it was the check valve between two round (1/4" thick) valves with holes through them. When put back together, it would pump oil on the down stroke (fork upside down) but not on the up stroke and it was not that much oil. When I fully assembled the fork, it had all spring and no dampening. I am fustrated and dont know what to do next. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

best thing to do is take a picture of this fork disassembled and laid out the way you have it,(or do as suggested and take the other fork apart) Then we can assist you in the order in which it will need to be reassembled.

For general purposes, your face shims will have the largest od, then taper down to the smallest od shim

Thanks but I am aware of that. You would also spill all the oil in your lap. I dont think my check valves were assembled properly or hung up and now I am trying to get it all back together.

I understand the concept with check valves but cant seem to get this fork to pump oil??? Unfortunantly, I have to assemble it before I can check it and end up loosing good oil.

I cant believe that their is not a single picture of diagram of these pieces! I have been steady looking on the internet but still nothing.

Any mechanics that can recall this assembly of the lower valves?

are you talking about the base valve

gabel.JPG

or the mid valve, should look approx. like this:

YZMV.JPG

No, it does not look like this 09 fork. I can reconize the valves but missign parts that mine has. Thanks for the picture though it helps!

theese are pre 05 KYB fork valves! (09 KX450F is my signature...)

but russ17 exactly told you what to do....

Anyone else have any suggestions? Pictures would be prefered even if they are other years.

Thanks

Last Update: I got it pumping like a new shock! Found out that the disk that slides on the collar with the spring must not have been operating freely and jammed up. I took it all apart and used the pictures I found on dirtbike magazine to reassemble it. Thanks everyone for the comments. Even the one about taking the other shock apart helped! The comments kept my mind exploring the possiable problems and that is what I like about this site. If anyone has a similar issue, feel free to shoot my a message I consider my self an expert with this type of shock after this problem.

GYBALLS