Sign in to follow this  

99 400 fork springs

Are stiffer fork springs a noticeable difference for a 215#, fast sandpit/trail rider? The bike has good tires runs good ,etc. Any feedback?

400 forks are notoriously soft. Ok for 150 lb rider seems to be the opinion. WAY too soft for you(and me). :banana:

Very big difference.

I weigh 215. Put in the .47kg Eibach boingers. While you are inside the forks, do the shim stack mod removing 6 of the 12 shims. It's easy if you have the tool, and I have the tool! I'll send it to you if you need it. Send it back when you are done.

The combo of the right spring rate and the shim stack mod is awesome! I have only to add a fork brace, and these forks will be as good as modern ones for the woods riding I do!:banana:

You just think you're a fast sandpit rider. If you were to replace the too soft stock fork spring with some rated for your weight, then you'd be fast. We all know how detrimental soft forks can be when riding sand. You need a stiffer front end when riding sand, and less compression damping.

Proper springs would also make for a much better ride and handling on trails too, especially with the improved hi speed compression damping of the shim stack mod.

Are stiffer fork springs a noticeable difference for a 215#, fast sandpit/trail rider? The bike has good tires runs good ,etc. Any feedback?

The thing that makes the biggest and best difference to your forks is to get the correct springs for your weight. The stock springs are .40kg/mm, which are good for someone in the 150 lb. range. For me, since I weigh 195 - 200 lbs. without gear, I went with the .46kg/mm springs. Once they were installed, I Immediately noticed a dramatic change for the better. The next biggest improvement in handling came from installing a fork brace. Like the springs, the change for the better was extreme. As an experiment, I recently took it off and went for a ride to see how much difference I could feel. Let's just say that I'll never do that again. As soon as I got back home, it went right back on the bike. Unfortunately, the fork springs and fork brace are not cheap, but are well worth the expense nonetheless. The shim stack mod, aside from costing you for fork oil and labor is free to do and well worth the effort. Although not as much of an improvement as Gold Valves, it really helps lessen the high speed compression spike felt with the stock valving. Making your forks the best they can be, is something you'll never regret doing as you'll find that you can ride faster more safely, and take far fewer soil samples. Good luck to you.