Sign in to follow this  

Bike blowing blue smoke

I started my bike, and it blew a huge cloud of blue smoke (enough to cover a two story house!). I've started it a couple times since, and the problem continues, albiet to a slightly less scale. There are two steady streams of smoke coming out of the header, and if I rev the motor, it pours out of the exhaust. There's also a small collection of oil on the header and surrounding areas of liquid oil.

What could it be? I've recently re-shimmed my valves, and changed the oil just 30 miles ago. I dumped in 2 liters like I usually do, but it's now low on oil (obviously, since it's burning it!). But I can still see it in the frame down the dipstick tube. The only thing I could think of is dirt contamination of the head (valve seals?). The bike is a 2000 S, and has 22 thousand miles on it. The only other unusual thing that happened is that I left the spark plug out in the rain, but after cranking the motor over, I changed the oil. Is it possible that it's the rings?

What should I do? Advice is appreciated:worthy:

Sounds like the rings are stuck. The water that got in is the culprit. Time to pull the cylinder and at the least rering.

I`m again assuming that the plug out in the rain is the issue here, but to combust that amount of oil.....The rings really have to be messed up.....Or perhaps a lot of grit fell in there.....Who knows.... Bottom line I think the head gotta come off to inspect before further damage is done....:banana::thumbsup:

Erling

So... Head off?

I've never gone past the valve cover, is there anything that's noteworthy that I should look out for? I feel competent enough of a mechanic to learn things but I'd rather not learn things at my wallet's expense:bonk:

It wouldn't take much water or time for the rings to start getting rust forming. This could stop them from moving in the grooves and thus allow oil to pass by them. I suspect that the OP will need to pull the piston to check that. Once the piston is out new rings will be needed either way.

So... Head off?

I've never gone past the valve cover, is there anything that's noteworthy that I should look out for? I feel competent enough of a mechanic to learn things but I'd rather not learn things at my wallet's expense:bonk:

Don't drop anything in the engine. That and clean. As close to surgical clean as possible.

Alright, I'm going to have to relocate to somebody who has a real shop instead of outdoors.

Yes, I did drain from both the frame and crankcase bolt, as well as from the oil filter. I tried to get every last drop out I could, and replaced the oil filter with the oil change.

Well, that'll teach me to leave the bike like that before I go anywhere! (it rained while I was out getting shims)

The weird thing though is that it wasn't blowing any smoke right after I put the head back together, in fact I went about 100 miles, it was after sitting for a couple days and starting it back up that it blew the smoke.

Well, whatever happened, I guess I'll figure it out when I take the head off.

i say you will find the bore rusty. just a guess though.

make sure the oil isnt way over full and or fuel contaminated.

Alright, I'll take a peek, thank you for advice!

The oil is below the dipstick, I can still see it in the frame, but it's definitely not overfull.

If the bore was rusty, would I need it to be honed or bored? If it needs new rings, does anything need to be done to the cylinder?

Get it opened up. Once you get in there then figure out what is going on.

I have shiny new pictures. I took the head off, and the things that I found unusual were-

I opened the cap to access the crank bolt to spin the engine on the crank case. Normally, it's supposed to just dribble some oil that happened to be left over in it(and it did before). Now there was a steady stream of oil out of it, so I had to drain the oil.

The cam chain guide was slightly tweaked, and it looks like the chain has been rubbing against it. There were some very tiny chunks of it near the buckets (shown in pics).

There was scoring in the cam guides.. both on the removable top piece and the piece on the head. It was only one one side of the intake valve (shown in pics)

P1040595.jpg

The top of the head.

P1040597.jpg

Evidence of the cam chain guide being chewed up a little.

P1040600.jpg

The bottom of the head

P1040606.jpg

Close ups of the valves

P1040607.jpg

Again

P1040610.jpg

Piston and Cylinder

P1040612.jpg

P1040614.jpg

Cross hatches still visible

P1040614.jpg

P1040620.jpg

I tried to get pictures of it, but it was difficult in the lighting. I can take better pictures sunday if they are requested. Basicly the cross hatches are still visible, and there are some tiny tiny vertical scratches, but nothing severe at all.

P1040621.jpg

The scoring on the came guide

P1040623.jpg

Here you can see that there are some small gouges on the side as well

So... advice?

Why a rebuild? It appears to me (of course I have no experience in this) that the cylinder/piston/rings are fine. Also keep in mind that I'm in high school, and my budget reflects that. I'm doing all the work I can myself, and if it needs completely rebuilt, then it's probably going to stay apart for a long time. Also, this motor only has 22k miles on it, which I was expecting a least 40k before new piston and rings.

Are you sure that oil was not contaminated with gas?

It kinda looks like what Eddie call the ring of death.

Why a rebuild? It appears to me (of course I have no experience in this) that the cylinder/piston/rings are fine. Also keep in mind that I'm in high school, and my budget reflects that. I'm doing all the work I can myself, and if it needs completely rebuilt, then it's probably going to stay apart for a long time. Also, this motor only has 22k miles on it, which I was expecting a least 40k before new piston and rings.

Even if you don`t need a rebuild.......part of the chunks you lost on the cam chain guide could now be at the bottom of the case at the oil screen.....Which could now be plugged.... Only way to clean it is to split the cases....But if you are up to that......piston and barrel don`t look too bad....imho....But I think you need to send the head to Eddie for some work on the cam journals..... But again.....debris in the engine is a killer, and need to be cleaned out......

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erling