Sign in to follow this  

Carb adjusting HELP

I have an 08 KTM 250 xcf-w. I put the JD kit in to specs for my area. I am having trouble finding the base line to start to adjust with. I know yall are rolling your eyes, but carbs have always given me fits. Can someone tell me how to set the adjusting screw and the mixture control screw to start with. Right now the bike will only run with the enricher engaged. I have drained the gas that was in the tank since it has been several months since I have ridden it. I plan on replacing the spark plug next. If I had the base line for the JD kit this would help me to at least get it running so I can fine tune it according to the book. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your pilot jet is clogged.

Remove the pilot jet and soak it overnight in carb. cleaner or acetone. When you look through it at a light, you should see a clear hole. If it is fuzzy, its not clean. Sometimes it just easier to replace it.

The JD instructions should give you all of the base settings or you can go to their site to the FAQ section.

I have an 08 KTM 250 xcf-w. I put the JD kit in to specs for my area. I am having trouble finding the base line to start to adjust with. I know yall are rolling your eyes, but carbs have always given me fits. Can someone tell me how to set the adjusting screw and the mixture control screw to start with. Right now the bike will only run with the enricher engaged. I have drained the gas that was in the tank since it has been several months since I have ridden it. I plan on replacing the spark plug next. If I had the base line for the JD kit this would help me to at least get it running so I can fine tune it according to the book. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your bike has set for several months and it will only run with the choke engaged chances are very high that your pilot jet is either partially or completely plugged. Clean it out or replaces it and I bet your bike will run well and give you your base line to make final adjustments from. RB