Sign in to follow this  

09 505 XC-F VS. 10 450 SX-F Please Help!

Hey fellas , I didnt post this on the "Which Bike Should I Buy" forum because I thought the best knowledge base would be here! I`m going to be purchasing either a new 09 505 XC-F or a new 10 450 SX-F next weekend. I`ve over anlyzed this to the point that I`m pulling my hair out :banana:. I`m a Sr. C rider (230lbs) that wants to do it all with one bike. I`ll be doing MX , GP`s, HS, D/S, and maybe even an enduro this year along with woods playriding , but GP`s and MX are really my thing. I really like a lot of low end that the 505 would hopefully have , I`ve read the new 450 handles and turns like nobodys buisiness but is kinda soft on the bottom stock. I`m coming off aan 08 300XC that I wasnt particularly thrilled withs its turning & handling so I`m thinking I may be in for more of the same with the 09 XC-F in that area. If anyone has either one of these bikes and has any exp. in "multi-tasking" please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Frank

Can only speak about the 2010 450sxf but it has awesome front wheel traction and turns great. It has lowend but the power is very smooth. Very usable and vet friendly.

I have the 09 505 and love it.

My last bike was a two stroke, and it took some getting used to.

I ride a variety of events like you, the bike works great everywhere.

Put 2010 triple clamps on your 09 for better turning.

I have a 505 XCF I currently race Desert Races, and I can tell you that this bike hands down handles and turns really well!!!!! The low end power is really nice in the single track, lose, and slick conditions but when you want to go crazy it has plenty on the top end :banana:. I would say this is THE best all around bike. Demoed a 450 SX 09, had a 2009 YZF 450 super happy with the 505. Here is a link that you may find intresting.

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=35D33275EAA844A5858FF20A0EBEDD89

Edited by pedrofs101

Why not get a bike with a bit more power than the 450s that you will be riding Against? And handles just as well. Just remember to get a R&D float bowl/leak jet.

Really? Different angle?

I have the 09 505 and love it.

My last bike was a two stroke, and it took some getting used to.

I ride a variety of events like you, the bike works great everywhere.

Put 2010 triple clamps on your 09 for better turning.

Really? Different angle?

Nope. Different off-set. Has nothing to do with the angle. 22mm in -10 vs. changeable 18/20mm on the -09.

help me out here.. trying to understand...:excuseme:

off set is the distance between fork tube centerline and steering stem centerline, not rake, rake is angle? Changing the centerline involves changing both top and bottom triple clamps? You are moving the fork tubes forward or slightly back?

I would be torn on this as well. The masses don't lie though. The 2010 bikes sold out everywhere pretty much and there are 09"s lying around everywhere.

The 2010 SXF won the shootouts and handled better than the 09 due to better suspension (finally) and a different head angle that just gave it that "little" edge on the turning factor.

I'd go 2010 for sure. Tough choice, but a better 1. I had a 07 SXF and the 09 has the same traits of old. The 2010 is the the year you cannot go wrong. Sooooooo, what bike DID you get?

I am on my 505. If it was up to me I would never buy enything else. I just hope Ktm will

Bring them back it will be hard to find an 09 in 2012. Lucked out this year

help me out here.. trying to understand...:smirk:

off set is the distance between fork tube centerline and steering stem centerline, not rake, rake is angle? Changing the centerline involves changing both top and bottom triple clamps? You are moving the fork tubes forward or slightly back?

BINGO ! :excuseme:

Hey fellas - Have been with my 09 505 XC-F since late March now. Susp. & handling seems to be much better than my 08 300XC. The motor has been a Jeckyl & Hyde issue though. The main issues at first were overheating and stalling. The overheating has been greatly helped by a 1.8 rad. cap and going to a 70% water 30% anti-freeze mix. No problems unless its slow going in the woods and slipping the clutch. The stalling was KILLING me! On top of that re-starting was not an instant affair as well. After months of fiddling with my RD Powerbowl ALJ , Flexjet , jetting AND throttlecable adj. I`ve FINALLY got it doing much better. May try a JD kit this winter. I`ve used it for MX , GP`s , Dual-Sports, and trail riding and its been a great bike thus far apart from the stalling issues that are just about gone. I never got a chance to through a leg over a 2010 450SX-F but am really happy with what I ended up with. Have almost 40 hrs. on it and will be checking the valve clearence in a couple weeks.

I`ve FINALLY got it doing much better.

Until the weather changes.:excuseme:

Did you read the back of August 'Dirtbike' mag? They had Dean from R&D and he: "removed our stock needle and replaced it with the needle out of a 450SX-F model. He went up on the pilot jet, from a 48 to a 50."

Dirt bike ended up on 3 turns on the leakjet and 2 1/2 on the fuel screw.

I ONCE rode my 2007 KTM 505 SXF track bike on a WORCS course.....taking a small break from track that day.......and realized IMMEDIATELY it was no trail bike. The gyro effect of the motor made cornering HELL.....:smirk:

I laid my beautiful bike down more in one hour riding on that trail than the entire year I had it on the track combined. I left the trail duties to my 07 450 XCW or my 07 250 SXF. Some bikes are sacred for track only! Must honor God by using the correct bike for that....Lol.:excuseme:

I ONCE rode my 2007 KTM 505 SXF track bike on a WORCS course.....taking a small break from track that day.......and realized IMMEDIATELY it was no trail bike. The gyro effect of the motor made cornering HELL.....:smirk:

I laid my beautiful bike down more in one hour riding that trail than the entire year I had it combined. I left the trail to my 07 450 XCW or my 07 250 SXF. Some bikes are sacred for track only! Must honor God by using the correct bike for that....Lol.:excuseme:

strange, since i think my 450SXF is fantastic at turning on trails (compared to my 570sx) and that you feel flywheel effect is worse on your 505 than your 450 since the 450 has a longer stroke and larger dia heavier crankshaft. It should have considerably more "gyro" effect than the 505.

strange, since i think my 450SXF is fantastic at turning on trails (compared to my 570sx) and that you feel flywheel effect is worse on your 505 than your 450 since the 450 has a longer stroke and larger dia heavier crankshaft. It should have considerably more "gyro" effect than the 505.

Mind you my swingarm was adjusted for MX. But I had noticed a huge difference in Gyro with my twin cammed 505. My 450 XCW was no issue. I had that thing dialed in better than a 250.

Not looking to one up each other here but that was my observation. Standing up in corners is very noticable and do not believe it is anything else... If yours corners great, then that is truely wonderful. I'm sure that little 10mm head drop on the 2010 did wonders though. 2011 even better from what I hear.

On a side note, 2007 SX suspension way just super lame offroad.....I have heard that was corrected a bit in the 09 suspension and perfected in 2010....the last year for that setup.