Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250f 2006 gear shifter rod

I was wondering if anyone knew what was involved in replacing the rod that comes out of my case that connects to my gear shifter. The reason for replacing it is that its bent .I originally thought it was the shifter so i replaced it only to find out that the rod was bent down . I guess that last guy who owned my bike landed on it off a jump. I now have troubles finding a sweet spot for my shifter it doesnt like to shift all that well from first to second. If anyone knows of a good video or anything that could help thanks.

GAH WRONG FORUM! There is a YZF specific one.

Huh? This is the YZ250F forum and the bike he's referring to is an 06 250F

Most of the engines Ive worked on (not yz250f specific), you pull the right side clutch cover off.. pull the clutch basket out, and the other end of the shifter rod is right there. It'll probably have a small spring or linkage there that moved the shift drum on the inside of the case.

Pull your shift lever off, pull the clutch crap out from the other side, and with the exception of MAYBE a spring that shifter shaft would pull right out. Just make sure that the splines where your shift lever clamps too is nice and clean because when you pull it threw, you dont want any dirt or crap getting into the case where your gears are. That end will pass right threw that section of the motor when you pull it threw.:banana:

IF the end of that shift shaft is bent to the point where you cant get it out. Get yourself an air powered just off wheel and cut the end of that shafter right off as close to the case as you can (where the bend is), spray some shop solve around everythign after the cut so you dont pull any shavings into the case, then pull it threw and replace it with a new one. Ive done that dozens of times..

Only thing you might need is a clutch cover gasket.. That would probably be a good time to replace that shifter shaft seal also (esp after making a cut, things get hot), that old one should pop right out with a flat head screw driver. Then press the new one right in, done.

• Like 1

Thanks sounds pretty easy i thought u might have to crack cases n i didn't want to get into that .

Most of the engines Ive worked on (not yz250f specific), you pull the right side clutch cover off.. pull the clutch basket out, and the other end of the shifter rod is right there. It'll probably have a small spring or linkage there that moved the shift drum on the inside of the case.

Pull your shift lever off, pull the clutch crap out from the other side, and with the exception of MAYBE a spring that shifter shaft would pull right out. Just make sure that the splines where your shift lever clamps too is nice and clean because when you pull it threw, you dont want any dirt or crap getting into the case where your gears are. That end will pass right threw that section of the motor when you pull it threw.:banana:

IF the end of that shift shaft is bent to the point where you cant get it out. Get yourself an air powered just off wheel and cut the end of that shafter right off as close to the case as you can (where the bend is), spray some shop solve around everythign after the cut so you dont pull any shavings into the case, then pull it threw and replace it with a new one. Ive done that dozens of times..

Only thing you might need is a clutch cover gasket.. That would probably be a good time to replace that shifter shaft seal also (esp after making a cut, things get hot), that old one should pop right out with a flat head screw driver. Then press the new one right in, done.

Excellent post man. Spot on. :lol: Ha ha tried to give you a shot of gas but apparently I have been to generous the last 24 hrs and it wont allow me to. I will get you some when it allows me to. :banana:

worked perfect thanks again spyder500r everything was spot on i ended up having to use a dremel with a cutting wheel took about 30 blades but i got her done. The only stupid thing now is i cant get my basket to slide back on its not ligning up with the gears .