Sign in to follow this  

Time to lighten UP!

Hey folks, Been riding the Katoom 520 for years, got an 02 XR250 as a spare/loaner bike. Been enjoying it for the trails much more than the KTM. Different for many reasons but still good. Which brings me to the question.

I am fairly sure there is a CRF250X in the very near future for me. I'm 50 now and I realize there all heavy when the engine isn't running but would like a lighter bike and don't need the extra power. I'm thinking about an 04-06 year.

Any sage advice...ie, as in

Best year ? Must Do's ? Things to avoid ?

Thanks for any help and Happy Trails

Remove the smog kit if you can. Do all the Honda CCC mods to the airbox, jetting, and overall carb. Once you do that, think about doing some engine mods. Put a 2008 250r head in, as well as a 2005 piston.

I've had an XR 250 before my 250X. I swear they are one of the best bush bikes out there, loads of torque the xr is like a tractor and easy to maintain as well. Sometimes i'd like to go back to an XR for those reasons but i can't. The 250X is literally twice the machine, maybe more. Everything is better except the cost and maintenance involved. The XR is a honda civic, the CRF is a formula 1 race car. It all depends on what terrain your gonna ride and who your ridin' with.

all 250x's need stainless steel intake valves.

It depends how you ride it and maintain it. If you short-shift, and never put the airfilter on wrong, the valves last a long time.

I have a 2004 270x, with 3 original 2004 valves. And one 'new' valve in 2007 which I had to change when I wasn't careful putting the airfilter on. The airbox is real tight and hard to work with, and it's very likely that the filter can be un-seated in the back, then it sucks dust and you ruin the intake valve that the carb points at.

Mine still runs strong, super compression. 270 kit is the shitz all the added torque comes in at the bottom, doesn't add much on top.

Anyway you will like the light weight. The CRF250X is 45 lbs lighter than a Husky 250! MyCRF has been very reliable, like an XR, maybe moreso, it's so enjoyable to ride I'm still riding it after 6 years, I never kept riding an XR that long.

'04-'09 is basically the same bike as far as I know. very minor changes. there is not a '10 as there is new old stock everwhere.. you can find new '07's for cheap STILL.

I would get an 06, they smogged out the non cali models in 07. On my 06' I have done the ccc mods, jd jet kit and a dr.d pipe. Just keep up on the servicing

im not against you, im just helping you out on this.

thats not necessarily true. then factory honda cuts the valves seats, it is kind of a hit and miss as to how the seats are cut. my 09 has 153hrs on it. never had to shim, or anything. and there is a good 20hrs of race time. my 04 valves lasted about 30hrs. so i did put in the SS intake. and my buddy's 08 lasted about 60hrs.

in 2006, honda changed the valve seat material, so there would be better reliability on the stock motor.

not ALL of the bikes need ss intakes, but it is a good idea when you put a new set of valves in.:banana:

Not true. I have almost 230 hours on my 250x with no valve movement

All helpful..... what is the best choice ?????? cuz I want 230 hours out of my motor also, is it luck, timely adjustments, use or lighting a candle each night before bed.....is there any common thread ??? or it it all chance ???

keep the air filter clean and do not over-rev it. I have had my 04 for 5 years and the valves are spot on every time I check them.

I came from an XR600, then an XR400 for a lighter bike, then to the CRF250X. All the while, having a KDX200 as a 2nd (loaner) bike. After the 250x, I sold the KDX and kept the XR400 as the 2nd (loaner) but do not loan it out. Put a damper and an auto clutch on the CRF250X. Did the airbox mod, and a JD jet kit. I really like this bike.

so whats the best way to install the airfilter right?

it takes a little doing to do that. honda did a crappy job of using the air filter door, but its a pain in the butt because the air filter diaphram gets stuck. so you have to turn it side ways and push a little.

so whats the best way to install the airfilter right?

Slide it in with the flat spot of the filter down and then turn the filter towards you about a 1/3 revolution.