Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Finally Finished my DRZ400SM build .. wanted to give thanks ..

Well today I FINALLY finished my 09DRZ400SM build.

I bought the bike a few months ago, and came into this project as a complete NEWBIE (in terms of this bike anyway). I also own a CRF450R and my wife owns a CRF150R, so while I had a pretty good idea over some of the basic essentials in terms of MODS (and basic mechanical workings ... albeit on different bikes), but I really did not know what to expect with the DRZ.

When I get around to it, I'll put together a post on a newbie's experiences building up a DRZ400 .. and the things i have learned on the way.

First and foremost, I just wanted to thank everybody for your advice along the way. Even if I did not post the question, the "Search" function and the WEALTH of information in this forum really helped me a lot.

In particular I want to extend a special thanks to 3 people:

1) Eddie .. the time and effort you put forth in the DRZ400 forum is commendable. A huge thanks for all the advice :lol: (even if I might have been a pain at times)

2) Forrest at WheelingCycleSupply - WOW ... you ROCK guy !! Thanks for all the excellent service and parts ! :banana:

3) Dave at MRD - all my bikes have MRD pipes, and the DRZ is no different. Thanks for creating the "custom" can (shorter than normal).:banana:

Now all that is needed if for me to write my learners, and hit the road.

Also have a full set of dirt wheels to build up ...

Cannot wait to ride :banana:

P1010521.jpg

P1010526.jpg

How does the shorty MRD sound compared to the normal length? The bike looks very nice by the way.

When I get around to it, I'll put together a post on a newbie's experiences building up a DRZ400 .. and the things i have learned on the way

Hope you really do :banana:

Supervokes in every pic of an 09 that I have seen , I have only ever noticed the barbwire graphics . Is the red part of the original graphics or did you add it ? greg [ very nice bike , by the way ]

What did you use to clamp your heat shield on your mrd? I have the same heat shield just haven't put it on yet.

Hey all

Thanks for the comments :banana:

Some answers to the questions posed.

When I ordered my MRD, I asked for some clamps to install a carbon header guard. The clamps are held onto the pipe via hose clamps (had to do this on my CRF450 as well).

The MRD is quite a bit louder than stock (pretty much anything is), but its sounds amazing. Not nearly as loud as my other MRD's though (on my CRF's), but a much deeper "thunderous" type sound. Maybe I'll take a video with sound and post it up.

I will do a "what I have learned" as a newb to the DRZ post in the future. I want to do a good job on it. Small tricks that anybody with any working knowledge of a DRZ would know (and might laugh at), but for a newbie (on this bike) maybe some useful info :lol:

What I have learned overall with this bike (and working on bikes in general) is that mechanical aptitude does not equal mechanical ability :banana:. I have taken many mechanical aptitude tests in my profession, and always score in the 90% percentile or greater, but unfortunately my hands don't always do what my head is thinking. I am not a good mechanic and would never cut it as a profession ..... although can make my way through things (just takes 4X as long). I have a LOT of respect for people who work on engines of any kind, and make it look soooo easy :banana:

Here is a better pic from behind to show the MRD pipe ..

P1010533.jpg