Sign in to follow this  

xr250r rear wheel bearings

I bought my bearings took out the old ones (totally destroyed by the way). I then greased the bearing on the sprocket side and found a piece of pvc pipe that put the bearing in perfectly. Then I moved onto the disk side where the bearing is smaller. I couldnt find pvc pipe small enough so i looked on line to see what people were doing. I found alot of pics showing a socket being used to pound in the bearing. I tried this and what a mistake it was. The socket and the bearing didnt get along very well and the socket cracked and chipped the outside the bearing i imagine this isnt good.

So my questions is how should I intall this bearing without destroying it?

I priced the tools that are in my service manual and I would rather not purchase them.

Any tricks would be appreciated because I dont want to destroy the next bearing that I get.

Thanks

Used a socket here that was the exact same size as the OD of the bearing and had zero problems. Kind of weird the bearing would crack up like that. Did you get ceramic bearings?

I use sockets but sometime it is difficult to find one that is just barely smaller than the bearing OD. I have ground down the OD of old bearings for a loose fit in the hub to use as an inserting tool.

Also don't press in the second bearing so tight that the two bearing bind. I go to an industrial bearing house because they are cheaper and readily available, I also use sealed bearings. The wheel bearings are standard small metric bearings and there is a 4 digit number on them that indicates the size. Sometimes the part fiche provides the code number.

So far every bearing I've needed to look up has been listed on the fiche at Bike Bandit with the ABEC number (6002, 6303 etc).

Use a piece of thread all and some washers that are the right size. 2-3 bigger and 2-3 just smaller than OD. two nuts that fit threadall.

Have one (or stack 2-3) washers of a larger size than the bearing OD on opposite side of bearing you are installing. Thread nut on and have it flush against washers with washers against hub and threadall through hub. Then slide bearing on and then 2-3 washers just smaller than the OD of the bearing. Then slide nut on and start tightening. You will need enough washers to have the bearing sit recessed in the hub so you can still turn the nut..

Maybe $5-$10 at local hardware store.

Cheapmans bearing press.

I used pvc pipe. I found a piece that fit but was a littler bit big, then I cut notches in it on the diameter of the pipe in both directions. Cleaned up the burs on the pipe then used those to pound in my bearings. It worked slick and it didnt crack up the bearing.

What cracked the socket or the bearing?

I use an impact socket because they stand up to hammering better. I also use it upside down with a 2"-3" extension to hammer on.

No need to hammer. Next time try the all thread bearing press.

VERY IMPORTANT:

Apply installation pressure only to the outer race.

Do not press on the inner race when installing wheel bearings, that will damage the balls and races of the bearing. That is why a removed wheel bearing can not be reused.