Sign in to follow this  

Have you loctited your primary nut?

Just a reminder to those either who havent got around to it, or those who think Suzuki sorted it.

I just took off the case to do the Primary Nut Loctite fix on the new (s/h 2005) engine I put in my Kicker after a major loss of destroyed the original motor (my fault).

I checked the torque to undo the nut, it was 30ftlbs, somewhat less than the 101 it should be and I suggest not long till it undid itself, anyway it is now covered in the red stuff and snugged up to 101 ftlbs.

So hoow about you ...........are you feeling lucky?!! :banana:

Dan

Oh dear! Oh dear! The primary nut lives on the end of the crankshaft, and if it comes lose so does the cam chain, at that point the valves meet the piston face to face after that its down to the laws of physics, every force having an equal and opposite reaction etc!! ..... seriously guys, please read the FAQs http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324503&highlight=locktite+primary+nut It has nothing to do with leaking and everything to do with preventing engine failure. :lol: So I guess you are feeling lucky ..... your choice! :banana:

Dan

Did mine a week or two ago. I didnt check what the torque was to remove it but it didnt feel like much. I just did it for the piece of mind.

Do those of you who haven't star in the Russian Roulette League? There is a reason the FAQ section exists.

Mine is getting done Thursday.

I did, however, find my counter shaft nut loose. That's been taken care of.

Steve

i checked Mine and it is already so tight I didntt want to mess with it. I believe it is just stock tight, as i could not move it. So I did not take it off and did not do the locktite fix.

I've done it on the engine I am building (434cc) and will do it on the current motor when its swapped out....

I went out to check mine and found out I don't have a socket that fits. Mind telling me what size I need to get? Thanks . . . .

You just ran out and checked the primary nut? Was your bike just sitting there with the cover off the side of the engine?

i checked Mine and it is already so tight I didntt want to mess with it. I believe it is just stock tight, as i could not move it. So I did not take it off and did not do the locktite fix.

Not to offend, but you do realize it's a left-hand thread?

I used a long reach 26mm socket to lock the flywheel and a 27mm on the primary nut. Its a left hand thread remember.

Dan

I didn't sort it out on my 2003 400E, and look what happened! Smashed primary gear, lunched head, lunched crankshaft... New engine!

I put a 2007 400SM engine in, and did all the fixes known to the forum on that engine - the primary nut wasn't /that/ tight either!

I used a long reach 26mm socket to lock the flywheel and a 27mm on the primary nut. Its a left hand thread remember.

Dan

Further to this make sure you use a bi hexagon 26mm socket to lock the flywheel, as a 6 point will not fit (it's not an exact size, as it's the end of the flywheel and a cast piece not an actual fastener).