Sign in to follow this  

Used DRZ, Unsure of many things.

Hello All,

I've been a longtime user on the Yamaha WR forums, but haven't ventured into your domain until recently. I've been doing some searching and FAQ reading but I'm still a little lost. Can anyone point me in the direction of an online OEM Maintenance Manual for the DRZ? A friend of mine recently bought a DRZ 400, not sure of the exact model number or exact year model. But this is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000-2003. We were told it was a 2003. It has a Keihin FCR39 carb installed, not sure if it is stock or not. It is not an E model, kickstart only. I'm looking for an idle adjuster, this one is broken free from the knob. I'm also looking for stock jetting specs so I can identifiy if this carb has had any work done. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated, and if needed I can post the VIN number from the headstock. Thanks in advance.

Josh

Pay attention. Correct model designation is "DR-Z400" Confusing, I know but for the kick start model that is the full designation. Year code could be Y, K, K1, K2. Yes the 39 FCR is stock for that bike.

Stock jetting is 45 pilot, 60 pilot air jet (plus 90 air in the side nipple), 142 main jet with the stock air box snorkel (165 if the snorkel is out), 200 main air jet. OBDXP-4 needle.

For most applications the needle should be re-set to clip 5 (from the top) and a main jet around 158 or less for high altitude (snorkel out)

That model will also have cost enrichener (CE) and hot start.

Thank you Noble, I understand most of that. I am not familiar with the term "Cost Enrichener", can you explain this one to me please? I'll check into the rest of this next time I get a chance on the bike. Thanks again, I'm sure we will be researching this bike fairly heavily in the coming months.

Josh

CE is the bundle of hoses on the left side of the carb unless it has been removed. The purpose of CE is to richen the mixture on high vacuum closed throttle coast to reduce popping in the exhaust. Most street bikes with a carb have it but you don't see it. The S model has it too but it is inside the carb. The style FCR carb it has was designed without CE so it was added on. The newer FCR has the option of CE but for most dirt bike applications it is not even machined.

Yep, that octopus is still on there. Any benefit or detriment to removing it?

Does not help or hurt to remove as long a it works properly. If you remove it, I'm sure there is a procedure posted in FAQ to re-route some hoses or re-jet the pilot air. You can't just remove it and plug al the nipples.

In that case we will probably just leave it. As long as it isn't hurting anything. Other than some minor jetting issues, it seems to run pretty well.

Since this is my bike I think I’ll say thanks for starting the party without me. Along with the carb issues this thing starts without a decomp cable even on the bike. It also has an LED brake light. Currently the snorkel has been removed from the air box and the opening has been enlarger, and the exhaust has been drilled out. I have been using this http://www.4strokes.com/tech/suzuki/drz400su.asp as a guide. We raised the forks or lowered the triple tree however it goes. I took the seat apart and cut the foam down a bit. It sits a lot better for me now. The number on the frame is JS1DK423X12100018 but I have not found a way to decode this. I will have the carb apart this week for sure to dive into jets. The rear brakes don’t grab so if there are and good cheap brakes out there don’t hesitate to share. It also has the manual cam chain tensioner as recommended of this site from the previous owner.

I see alot of the info on the DRZ is for E's and S's, is the kick start only model a rare find?

Sort of. I think it was only made for a few years.

I used this to find out the model year of my bike before I bought it, according to your vin it is a 2001. Check out the website below for yourself. Hope this helps. http://www.suzukicycles.org/_misc/identification.shtml. As far as a manual I got my clymer off Amazon for 21.75 just type in DRZ400e in their search and it will pull it up. I know yours is kick but most everything else is the same I believe. If you go to the suzuki shop they will charge 35 to 39 dollars around here for the exact same manual.