Sign in to follow this  

California Chappie OHV area. 3-14-10

Short notice ride, thrown together last minute.

Please email the redding BLM and tell them how great and refreshing it is to have an agency that is actually building new trails and actively maintaining them. Rode a few new trails today and a few new re routes that are awesome. Instead of using their funding for closure they are using it to build a better park. In and email from blm.

"We are currently working to acquire more property within the OHV area which

will allow us to construct more and in some cases easier OHV trails, more

like the mixed use trails you referred to. Also, if Assembly Bill H.R. 689

goes through the BLM will take over administrative jurisdiction (ownership)

of 11,760 acres of land from the Forest Service, within the OHV area. This

would also result in development of new OHV trails. This is a difficult

area to build trails in for a number of reasons, but we are working hard to

improve the existing trails and add mileage where we can."

THis is what you get. for your $$ and comments.

100_0982.jpg

100_0983.jpg

There was even someone out today, sunday on a quad, cutting trees out of the trails, thanks.

Couple random shots. shasta lake, mt shasta and zaya.

100_0975.jpg

100_0976.jpg

100_0979.jpg

100_0980.jpg

This dude was checking out the same view we had, but surely his is much better, he is free, we are confined to trails in an ohv park, like cows on a sweet forest service wilderness lease waiting on the slaughter truck, but enjoying the freedom we have to run till then.

100_0981.jpg

35 miles 5 of it roads, come up anytime, i'll show you around, unless you are scared of rocks.:banana:

Edited by ZEKEDAWG

Definitely want to take you up on that soon. We were thinking a sat/sun overnight thing. Probably in the next month or so. We could use a guide as we've never been and want to see the best the place has to offer :banana:

if the sun stays out, and we get no cold storms the snow will be gone and we can cross the whole system by next weekend. I plan on riding at least one day.

This coming weekend we already have a riding commitment at GT. Maybe the next weekend will work.

Looks like a good day, Zeke. I live in Chico, but have been up to Chappie 3 of the last 4 weekends. We stage at Copley Mountain and then head across to 76 and 17 to access some of the higher elevations. Been wanting to get to the northern areas, but snow prevented it. Is there a staging area (informal) that allows better access to that area?

Oh yea, which trail were the first 2 pics of?

Who's the squid that cased the landing on the double? < insert smiley with big dumbo ears here >

Oh yeah, I'll be on a tractor all day this coming Saturday and maybe a little on Sunday. No riding up there this coming weekend for me. Sorry mang.

Oh yeah, I'll be on a tractor all day this coming Saturday and maybe a little on Sunday.

That make two of us on our tractors this weekend.......Weed abatement season is here:banana:

I was on the fire that went through Chappie in 08 and man the bulldozers did a number to that place.....Sounds like it's ridable again.

The first two are currently unmarked, but between goat trail and 7 off 15.

Mando, going to ride sunday if you want a tour. You can stage off east for road out of french guls to access the other side, I haven't ridden it yet but want to. Always seem to ride the east and middle sections. its a long ride over from the dam to the far west side, 15 miles, but driving around to french gulch is almost and hour driving from redding.

That make two of us on our tractors this weekend.......Weed abatement season is here:banana:

I was on the fire that went through Chappie in 08 and man the bulldozers did a number to that place.....Sounds like it's ridable again.

Yes sir, I have about 5 acres of weeds to cut down from knee high to chest high. :banana:

Mando, going to ride sunday if you want a tour. You can stage off east for road out of french guls to access the other side, I haven't ridden it yet but want to. Always seem to ride the east and middle sections. its a long ride over from the dam to the far west side, 15 miles, but driving around to french gulch is almost and hour driving from redding.

What, nothing! Phfffft! :lol::banana:

Zeke, thanks for the invite and 411 on riding that stuff in the north. I'd love to hook up and ride some trails with you, however this weekend I'll be riding Georgetown with my buddy that lives in Sacramento. Perhaps the following weekend? I'll PM you and perhaps we can hook up for some riding and post-ride beers. Maybe Rock Monster will have his bike back together and we can caravan up your way.

What, nothing! Phfffft! :lol::banana:

Nothing for a hardcore dualsporter, but my sissy off road frineds start whinning about a sore butt around the 50 miles mark. Yesterdays excursion was a 3 hour ride, 80 miles.

Well its up to you, wouldn't say you couldn't ride a klr but, you will be beat down and some 50% of the trails are worse than the little bally run we did last year.

Dude, we drive an hour just to get to the Dam. We try to ride down there every week or two in the winter; once it gets hot and dusty the snow's out up here and we stay home.

Here's a couple of the boy sorting out typical chappie terrain a few weeks ago...

p525878147-4.jpg

p398807283-3.jpg

p395616617-4.jpg

It's a tough place for a kid who's learning and doesn't want to ride the fireroads all the time, but if you can ride here, you can pretty much ride anywhere...

Steve

It's a tough place for a kid who's learning and doesn't want to ride the fireroads all the time, but if you can ride here, you can pretty much ride anywhere...

Steve

Chappie is relentless, and brutal, people often complain about it, but the oldtimers tell them, don't bother riding outside the park, if you can't ride in it.

Where do you live?

We're in Mt. Shasta. Dunno what the travel management plan will do to us, but it's bad.

The only thing Chappie won't teach you is deep sand...

Steve

Got any good places to ride in the modoc?

You ride to the west?

Edited by ZEKEDAWG