Sign in to follow this  

Pennsylvania Does PA require you to title off road bikes?

I am an Illinois resident looking to purchase a vintage MX bike from a private party in PA. Here in Illinois we are required to title off road bikes and ATVs even though we don't plate them for operation on public roadways.

If I buy a new bike/ATV from a dealer, at the time of the sale the dealer collects the state's sales tax (if less than Illinois' 6.25% sales tax, I pay the difference to Illinois) and Illinois' $30 motorcycle title fee, and the dealer sends the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin or Certificate of Origin to the state of Illinois, and they create an Illinois Title of Ownership. If the new bike was financed, Illinois mails that title to the bank or finance company, and once the loan is paid in full, they sign off the lien and I get the Illinois Title of Ownership in the mail, which states on the title that it is for off road use only. When I sell the bike, I sign over the title of ownership and the buyer has a legal document showing that he is the new owner.

If I buy a used bike/ATV from a private seller, I take the bill of sale and title (if that state requires one) to my local Secretary of State office, pay a $25 flat sales tax and a $30 fee to obtain the Illinois title. If I buy the bike from the owner who's state does not require the bike to be titled, then a detailed bill of sale will satisfy Illinois' paperwork drill, with all of the vehicle's details (Manufacturer, model, and VIN), the seller's name and address, how long he's owned the vehicle, and a statement that he/she never had the vehicle titled because it is not required by the state of (PA), with his/her signature. Doing this in front of a notary public with their stamp/signature provides a little more leverage that Illinois will accept it and issue a title. Pretty good deal overall, the bike gets an official document to prove ownership for me and the next buyer.

So, after all that, my question is, does the state of PA require it's residents to title off road bikes through the state? I'm not interested in those off road bikes that have been converted to street, only the purebred off road bikes.

Also, can someone provide a link or state agency and phone number to communicate with for running a VIN to ensure that it's not on the list of reported stolen?

Thanks,

Chief :banana:

Technically it probably is "required" although there is no way of enforcing it, really. ATVs need to be plated to use them on state riding areas, and to get a plate it needs to be titled, registered, and insured. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ has info on that process. MX dirtbikes aren't allowed at the state off-road areas (dual sports are), so there is really no benefit of titling aside from proving ownership.