Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

what the hell is up with late model showa shocks?

doin the oil change on my 08 rmz 450 bike has 30 hrs on it took shock apart no problem other bein a lil tight getting it out of the shock body cleaned it up and now doin the bleed part of it ...filled the res with oil let it sit put the bladder in oil came pouring out as usual put the snap ring in charged the bladder with 40 psi let the shock sit for a bit fill up the main body .install the shaft assembly hard to push the shock down into the stroke and even harder to pull it back up i dont remeber my 2007 rmz 250 showa shock being this tight ..its taking forever to get the air out takes like 30 seconds to pull it up far enough to force it back down....i just finished a kyb on a 99 yz125 that i bled the same way and no issues at all any tips would be greatly appreciated this aint my first rodeo but this is the tightest shock i have ever done...can i scotchbrite some of the piston band down ?if i try and force the shaft up too fast itll pop up then suck right down like theres a vacuam on the other side.. thanx guys any help will be appreciated .

You need to take the shaft back out and turn the reb adjuster out. Use a old spoke or back end of a small drill bit to manually push the rebound needle down. It should then bleed like normal.

doin some reading on the shock issues and it seems showa makes their piston bands way to tight....

They do but thats prob. not your problem. Like yam259 said you prob. forgot to back the reb. clicker out before you let the N2 out.

doc

do a search on showa piston band and my username, i have done a little work on this and have a good technique.

i read it mog thanks....and nope i backed out all the adjusters before i started its just about done ...been smackin the clevis with a mallet every ten mins or so and still have a few bubbles comin up....

A tight piston band will not cause a vac behind the piston. If you backed your clickers out and stroked the shock through after you backed them out, your rebound needle is stuck. But hey, don't listen. Your the one that has to ride the bike.:banana:

now that im thinkin u guys might be right cant remember if i did back the rebound out before i dishcharged the nitrogen...if i did then that will be a first for me....considering ive pretty much bled the thing do u think i should take it back apart again to check to see if the rebound needle dident move back?

its very hard to bleed with the needle in, i would rebleed, what i do(if the needle is stuck) is gas it up with some air in it(ie not well bleed) then let the gas out and rebleed it.

Sometimes the needles have to removed, cleaned and lubed.

And sometimes turning the screw out and then charging the shock with a high amount of pressure will force it back down.

AND...on some SHOWAs the clevis is not mounted on the shaft correctly. It's in the wrong spot which throws the reading off.

As for the band, we are using the smaller o-rings in combination with machining the band down slightly. This is done on a shock by shock basis as to get the fit just right.