2002 XR250r - How do I get the carb out?

I recently bought a 2002 xr 250 which is an upgrade from a 1990 xr 250. I haven't bought a service manual yet but I need to clean the carb and I don't want to rip the whole bike apart if I don't have to. What is the best way out for this thing? I could also use the factory air screw and needle clip positions to verify what I find. Btw, the bike has the factory silencer insert and airbox snorkel removed. Thanks for the help.

The procedure that I use is:

Remove the tank, and seat. Then remove the top rear frame mounting bolt. Loosen the two bolts that the subframe connects to the frame (above the swingarm bolt).

Loosen the hose clamps on the carb, tilt the subframe back and pull out from the left side.

You will have to twist and tilt the carb to get it past the frame tube.

It is tricky the first time. Good luck.

Thats what I was afraid of. One of the subframe bolts by the tank is busted off. That will make things interesting. Thanks for the help.

Back when I had a stock carb, I seem to remember just unbolting the intake, loosening the boot clamps... then tilt the carb sideways a bit... then unscrew the top where the throttle cable connects. A little wiggling & presto. :banana:

Edited by SpED66
clarification
  • Like 1

I have my wires for the baja designs kit going across the top of the subframe so I just undo the bottom bolts, loosen the top and then just rotate the whole thing up. after taking the muffler off of course. Here's a pic:

IMG00325.jpg

I just take my seat and tank off , unbolt the intake , loosen the airbox clamp and slide the carb and intake out the side.

• Like 1

I just take my seat and tank off , unbolt the intake , loosen the airbox clamp and slide the carb and intake out the side.

+1, no need to take anything else off.

• Like 1

Well I tackled the carb today. Off came the seat and the tank and upon further inspection the "broken bolt" had factory frame paint on it. Oh, it's long and goes all the way through, cool. I decided the I'd take my chances and not move the sub-frame. Removed the three intake bolts and loosened the airbox clamp. A little wiggle with some down and out action and the carb was in my hands. Loosened and removed the two throttle cables and it was on the bench. After that it was just going through the motions. Reinstalled and back together she ran like a champ and I tore my yard up for the first time on my new bike. Thanks so much for the advice guys. Long live XR's!

im able to take the carb out by taking out the 3 bolts from the intake boot, move it down about 2 inches, rotate the boot about 90 degrees until the carb is able to slip out. Remove intake boot and then remove carb.

Fixed mine today with you guys' help. '91 XR250L, 1800 mi/ second owner. Ran fine until couple weeks ago it began stalling at lights usually started right back up but was embarrassing and no fun to ride. Yesterday wouldn't hardly start and would only run a few seconds. Pulled the carb (without removing tank, airbox or all the other shit the manual sez). My order was 1) Shut fuel off, remove fuel line from petcock. 2) remove choke cable, remove throttle cables (I marked with painter's tape which was top & bottom). 3) Loosen boot clamps on either side of carb. 4) Remove three intake boot bolts (Were very tight, make sure you use a box end wrench) 5) start wiggling the carb (See unclewho's post, above) and out she came. I left all the rubber hoses on the carb, the only difficulty on re-install was snaking the drain line back in through two frame mounted clips. Took the float bowl off and removed/ sprayed the low speed needle with cleaner. Pushed a tiny broom straw through and sprayed more until I could see daylight. Buttoned er back up (after applying a little heavy grease on intake seal at boot to avoid air leak). Only scare I had was a vacuum/ fuel hose that comes off the carb and doesn't attach anywhere, hoping it was that way before and didn't notice. Anyhoo this thing purrs at idle and generally runs much better. Thanks all!

Easy to get out like others have said.  One thing not mentioned to make it even easier is to remove the breather hose from the crankcase to get it out of the way.  Just undo it and tuck it back.

• Like 1