Sign in to follow this  

What do I need to do to my new to me XR650R? Lots of questions

I recently picked up a 2002 XR650R, before I take it out, I want to go through it a bit and make sure it's good to go.

I plan on Changing the Oil/Filter, air filter, flush coolant, brake fluid, check valve clearances, R&R spark plug, clean,inspect/adjust and oil chain and overall visual inspection and checking torques on hardware.

The bike has a Uni air filter, are these throwaway or clean and reoil?

The bike looks pretty clean, no leaks are evident on engine of forks and I can tell it was not washed between it's last desert ride and the time I purchased it.

When I was considering a DRZ, there were several almost mandatory preventive fixes the owners suggested doing upon taking delivery of any DRZ, to prevent big problems down the road, are there any such with the XR?

What else would you all suggest?

I also plan on installing the larger IMS tank it came with.

And I want to lower the seat, would you suggest buying a different seat or shaving the foam in the SDG seat it came with, do the SDG seats work with the larger IMS tanks, not sure of it's size, some here have said it's the 3.2, and others say it's the 4.6, I guess I wont know for sure until I fill it up ?

Does any one make case guards to install on engine side case? it has the Baja Designs case on the left side, so not sure if there is any thing to install to protect it, but the right is stock.

IMGP2416.jpg

Will this tank work with the SDG seat?

IMGP2424.jpg

That's a nice one. I too am looking for a 650R or a 650L. Maybe I'll seen you(the bike) someday out on the trails.

In addition to the items you mention:

1. Check the clutch bushing for the updated part. My '02 model had the old one so I changed it. Old part prone to siezing.

2. Check the chain adjusters for siezing in the swingarm.

3. Check the T Stat for sticking open.

4. Change the fork oil and inspect the fork internals for rust.

Some useful info here regarding issues with the R.

http://www.xr650r.us/issues/13.shtml

That's a nice one. I too am looking for a 650R or a 650L. Maybe I'll seen you(the bike) someday out on the trails.

What part of Cali are you in? several plated XR's out there, not too many with starters though, if it wasn't for the starter I was going with a DRZ.

use search tempest , I searched XR650r plated and street legal to find this one.

That tank looks a lot bigger than my IMS 3.2 or 3.4 or..what ever mine is..

Iv'e done alot of stuff to mine,but the one thing that i lilked the most was the 280mm EBC oversized rotor. If you have the funds....Edelbrock pumper,a full pipe system and a stage two Hot cams.Oh ya ..revalve that suspension,get a top clamp that puts the bars upwards and out of your lap.

This is an addition to what pegscrapper says.

Happy spending!!!er,,,i mean riding!

Inspect and regrease all important bearings: Wheel, head, and suspension/swingarm. Make sure the axles and swingarm pivot are well greased (I prefer anti-sieze for this).