Sign in to follow this  

I went and looked at a 650L for sale, HELP!

This dude is selling a 2000 XR650L for $1500. It looks OK. Not banged up, except the tank has a dent on it.

It's leaking oil from the valve cover and dried up oil in the muffler. Could possibly need rings, valve stem seals or valve guides? It also needs a new battery.

Also the registration is has lapsed so it's a year behind. Should I get it or look elsewhere?

Thanks

do you have extra money to rebuild it? if so go for it. it might last forever or die in a week. its a pretty easy bike to work on if it does blow up. most likely if your like everybody else on this site you will get rid of the steel tank anyway.

"Dried up oil in the Muffler"...

Are you certain thats what it is and not just a bit of soot from running a bit rich..

Yes and yes. I have the money to rebuild at least the top end. Usually soot is an even layer around the tail pipe. it was concentrated on the bottom.

I have a plastic tank from an '88 XR600R.

I dont think your XR600R tank will be a direct fit. I believe they have different mounts.

Sounds like a good deal really, but offer less if not running and point out the work needed.

If only out for a year it will simple cost the last years tags to switch it over. You can calc it on the DMV site to with the vin/plate.

Clarke shows diff #s for the 600/650s but tanks are on Ebay all the time plus here on the TT store.

Sounds like a good deal really, but offer less if not running and point out the work needed.

If only out for a year it will simple cost the last years tags to switch it over. You can calc it on the DMV site to with the vin/plate.

Clarke shows diff #s for the 600/650s but tanks are on Ebay all the time plus here on the TT store.

I have had several XRs in my garage that were brought to me by guys that had bought a "fixer-upper" and got a "good deal". Rarely, these bikes are actually a good deal, more often they are money pits. I would recommend that you find a bike that is already a good runner.

I have had several XRs in my garage that were brought to me by guys that had bought a "fixer-upper" and got a "good deal". Rarely, these bikes are actually a good deal, more often they are money pits. I would recommend that you find a bike that is already a good runner.

X2! The market righ now is weak to say the least. You can do better. Move on.

I totally agree with this. For $1500, it should not need to be torn into. There are too many desperate sellers out there to be paying such a large sum for a hornets nest.

i don't think 1500 is a good deal for a 10 year old bike that doesn't run.

i see plenty of 99'-00' dirt bikes that are ready to ride and on the market for 1200-1500.

one thing i would check is the front sprocket/countershaft for wear. someone else on here just bought one with a bad shaft. beware.

I forgot to mention I test rode it around the block. It rode nice, shifted good. I told the guy if it didn't sell by today 3/15/10 to give me a call and we'll work out a deal. So far nothing.

The bike does have 15K miles on it.

Here in Cali that's the cheapest 650L I've seen on CL in the entire state. I usually search from SF to SD.

Oh well, the search continues…

In California that a good price. For some reason the market is always high here. I picked a 97 with 18500 miles for 1400. It was weather because it was parked out side near the ocean. But the seller was vouched for by people that knew him and me. It seems like a good deal to me.