Sign in to follow this  

ATC 125M missing 3rd gear!

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am currently rebuilding/repairing a 1985 ATC 125M. I have rebuilt the head and put new rings in, cylinder hone, new carb. etc. etc. It is missing third gear though. I don't want to split the cases but I understand you can access alot of the issue possibly from the right side of the bike case cover off. What am I looking for on the shift drum/clutch assembly. It works fine in the other 3 gears?

Thanks again.

Kevin

I took the clutch cover off and found the clutch, flywheel, and shift cam with the star thing mounted on it. My question if two fold.

1. How do you get the clutch off? Do you use a pully puller or some special tool to get the nut off in the center? I have pics I will try to post.

2. Everything seems to engage when you go through the gears. The cam turns through all the gears but 3rd is like nuetral. Is it a bent shift fork? Is there anything that can be done without splitting the cases? Or is that just inevitable?

Thanks again to anyone for help.

So realistically can I take off the clutch side half of the bottom case and not have to get into the other side? Or am I screwed.

Yes High and Low range still work. 4th gear still works. When you shift to 3rd it is exactly like nuetral. No rattling or grinding noises nothing but nuetral. Then you shift to 4th and it works again.

Can I just take the clutch side of the case off and not mess with the stator side?